CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover XI install -- Error: Conflicts with the installed package 'ia32-crossover-pro'

I already have the previous licensed version of CrossOver intalled. I logged in and downloaded my licensed copy of Crossover XI and tried to use Gdebi to install it to my Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit OS and got the error:

Error: Conflicts with the installed package 'ia32-crossover-pro'

Questions:

1. Do I have to uninstall the previous version before installing the new version and how?
  2. Why can't the new version install over the old version?
  3. Will I be forced to reinstall all my Windows programs?

Louis J. Rizzo wrote:

I already have the previous licensed version of CrossOver intalled.
I logged in and downloaded my licensed copy of Crossover XI and
tried to use Gdebi to install it to my Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit OS and
got the error:

Questions:

1. Do I have to uninstall the previous version before installing the
    new version and how?

Unfortunately, yes. This is a bug we are tracking. You should be able to do /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall and then sudo /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall.

You should be left with the option to keep your bottles in place but I would also recommend archiving them just in case. This is easily done with the bottle manager (/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxsetup). Save them somewhere where they will be safe (I use my Desktop).

You should not have to reinstall any of your Windows applications if you follow the above. The only reason to do so would be if a Windows application is not working the way you expect it to. Then, a clean install may be helpful.

Louis J. Rizzo wrote:

got the error:

Questions:

new version and how?

I could "overwrite" my old version with "dpkg -i <crossover-version>.deb"
Afterwards I started the new Crossover-Version and agreed the popup where crossover wants to import my old bottles into the new version.

Louis J. Rizzo wrote:

got the error:

Questions:

new version and how?

I had a similar error with the RPM version. Here are the answers to 2 and 3. Since I am not running Ubuntu, I can't really address the first. Does Gdebi have an "uninstall" function, like yum's yum remove (package)? if so, then I would use that.

1. Different package name. Since there is no separate "Pro" version, but it is in the file name, it will report a confilict instead of recognizing that you simply want to upgrade the old package. Thus, removing the old version first is your best bet.

2. No. Do NOT delete your /home/(username)/.cxoffice directory. That is where your bottles are stored. When you install CrossOver XI, then it will recognize your bottles from the CrossOver Pro X version. Yum on Fedora left them alone. I don't know if Gdebi is set up to leave it alone also or if it will uninstall the directory. In any case, the safest thing is to go into your Bottle Manager, to the Advanced tab and create an archive for each of your bottles. Do this before you uninstall CrossOver X. That way, if worse comes to worse, you can choose the "Add from Archive" option in the Bottle Manager instead of having to reinstall from scratch. Backups are your friend.

Hopefully, this answers your questions.

Thanks to all for the help. I uninstalled prior version, saved the bottles and re-installed the new version with gdebi.

Hmmm,

Please can you change the order of the instructions in your post. I've just lost ALL my bottles because I did the /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall step and it did NOT ask me if I wanted to save any of my bottles. I did NOT have them backed up. The sudo /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall did ask me which was nice - I now have an empty .cxoffice directory and well a rather glum face.

[quote=441173]> (quote:457759)

I could "overwrite" my old version with "dpkg -i
<crossover-version>.deb"
Afterwards I started the new Crossover-Version and agreed the popup
where crossover wants to import my old bottles into the new version.

I tried that, but for the 64bit version, at got the following errors:

Selecting previously deselected package ia32-crossover.
dpkg: regarding ia32-crossover_11.0.0-1_amd64.deb containing ia32-crossover:
ia32-crossover conflicts with cxoffice5
ia32-crossover-pro provides cxoffice5 and is present and installed.
dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover_11.0.0-1_amd64.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing ia32-crossover
Errors were encountered while processing:
ia32-crossover_11.0.0-1_amd64.deb

[quote=10928]> (quote:441173)

Louis J. Rizzo wrote:

I could "overwrite" my old version with "dpkg -i
<crossover-version>.deb"
Afterwards I started the new Crossover-Version and agreed the
popup
where crossover wants to import my old bottles into the new
version.

I tried that, but for the 64bit version, at got the following
errors:

Selecting previously deselected package ia32-crossover.
dpkg: regarding ia32-crossover_11.0.0-1_amd64.deb containing
ia32-crossover:
ia32-crossover conflicts with cxoffice5
ia32-crossover-pro provides cxoffice5 and is present and
installed.
dpkg: error processing ia32-crossover_11.0.0-1_amd64.deb
(--install):
conflicting packages - not installing ia32-crossover
Errors were encountered while processing:
ia32-crossover_11.0.0-1_amd64.deb

Same error here.
I have two versions of CO installed CO 8.0.3 (which I need for a specific Appl.) and CO 10.
I uninstalled CO 10 and tried to install CO XI following the advice in the Support Library.

Firstly, please note that as of Crossover 11.0.2 you can now update using your package manager (i.e. dpkg, rpm, yum). Updating from 10.2 to 11.0.2, or 11.0 to 11.0.2 should work. Updating from 10.something to 11.0.0 still doesn't - this is one of the fixes in 11.0.2.

Also, please note that the uninstall instructions posted above (and quoted below) need a bit of an asterisk:

Caron Wills wrote:

Unfortunately, yes. This is a bug we are tracking. You should be
able to do /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall and then sudo
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall.

You should be left with the option to keep your bottles in place but
I would also recommend archiving them just in case. This is easily
done with the bottle manager (/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxsetup). Save them
somewhere where they will be safe (I use my Desktop).

If you installed crossover from the package (which is probably why you're reading this thread in the first place), note that "/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall" WILL DELETE ALL OF YOUR BOTTLES. If you want to remove Crossover but keep your bottles (which is, again, probably why you're reading this thread), just run

$ sudo /opt/cxoffice/bin/cxuninstall

Running this as root will give you the option to keep your bottles. Running cxuninstall without root perms doesn't give you this option. Proceeding after running cxuninstall without root perms nukes the bottles. In Crossover 11 this is a bit more clear, but in 10.x and earlier it's kind of cryptic in the dialog that pops up.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNkhaaFhjVVl3dXRLU1hVMiIsImdkcHIiOjB9