CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Problem launching Office 2007 files in Fedora 15 *SOLVED*

I had an issue that turned out to be a known issue on ubunutu. Trying to launch xlsx or docx or pptx files wouldn't work while ppt, xls, and doc files worked just fine. I saw that the association was there but when you double-clicked on the file, nothing happened.

Turns out this is a problem with the binfmt module that thinks these files are jar files and trying to pass them to java. After trying to do this manually by invoking the script directly I finally saw the error message:

"invalid file (bad magic number): Exec format error"

So after lots of searching I saw that there was an outstanding ticket:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=793030;id=241;tscurPos=200

Being on Fedora 15 the workaround didnt work because there is no such update-binfmt command. I found that there was a service a startup that registered the jar association and that stopping this service got the office files to start working correctly.

To stop the service: systemctl stop jexec.service

To disable the service: systemctl disable jexec.service

Just thought I'd pass this along to those having similar issues on Fedora 15. Might want to update the FAQ page to include this for fedora users.

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/cxofficejavaassociation

duly added - thanks for the tip!!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidG5VZHVrckp6TnZQeXd0TiIsImdkcHIiOjB9