CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Gnome-shell (Gnome3) Wine + Crossover

I've used wine for years, I moved to crossover last year when ordered to use Microsoft word for a project. I felt it was time to invest back into wine, etc. This was fine I was happy that wine and crossover did not care about each other that was on Fedora 13. Plus work paid for the purchase of crossover - bonus.

I am now on Fedora 15 and using Gnome 3.0.1 and well its all a bit of a mess. Since the desktop/window manager model has changed all my wine and crossover applications are mixed up in one giant pot of a desktop. This is rather annoying. In fact I started moving applications out of wine and into crossover to reduce and remove duplication.

Is there an easier way to do this? At the moment I am uninstalling things from wine (which never works) and reinstalling things into crossover. I have dependent software half in wine and half in crossover. In retrospect I should had removed the crossover copies rather than the wine ones as I had installed them to compare and contrast the differences but I didn't.

So is there a clever way to get all my wine environment imported into a crossover bottle?

Well... and this will be 'unsupported', for the record.

Your ".wine" prefix is essentially one big CrossOver bottle, if you renamed it "WINE" and put it in ~/.cxoffice/bottles/ it would appear as a bottle in CrossOver. Then, you can tell CrossOver to create menus & associations for those items:

cxoffice/bin/cxmenu --bottle <bottle-name> --removeall --install

In theory, this should get you all fixed up. I must warn you, some things may break when doing this. However, it may save you some time and headache.

Good Luck and thanks for your support of the Wine Project!

Cheers will give it ago this evening!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMjNQZHJ2cjdVOEJTZUxuRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9