CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

something you have to do. I learn from my encounter

I swear to GOD I'M NOT GOING TO BUY AGAIN CROSSOVER GAME SYSTEM MY DOESN'T WORK.

I CAN PLAY GAMES ON PLAYONLINUX AND IT FREE.

Hi,

Oh...I've done this before, without even noticing - reached over to tap
left-shift and tagged the dreaded caps-lock key, typed 2 lines in 2 seconds
and blindly hit the enter key to post it before looking up...I know how you
feel. I also know that God doesn't care too much about us mere mortals and
our tinkerings with computers and software ; I don't think God uses these
devices ... and last time I checked, the notion of swearing to God about
software is probably a Bad Thing[tm] ... or off topic at least =)

..as a matter of coincidence, I've been studying PoL in recent times, as it
were comparing it against the c4p/crosstie system, not so much centered on
winecore side of things. In that regard at least, I might agree with you on
some points in some areas...ie; does their installer GUI have more eye-candy,
the answer is yes... is their installer scripting as capable/flexible/functional
as the c4p/crossties system?... that's probably a qualified yes, in as much
as it handles some areas better, but that may come at the cost of having to
do more work than with the system the user is presented with the crosstie editor
interface, so perhaps I'm just bored and think we should have videos in ties...

...Codeweavers do a -lot- of things for Wine -- have a look around. Make sure
you have a -good- look, and take the time to find out just how many of the Wine
developers Codeweavers actually employ, and also ensure you read through all
the Wine source-code changelogs to see how much Crossover stuff ends up in Wine.
Once you know all the facts, weigh up all the pros and cons, you have to ask
yourself this -- how are the more than several Wine developers/coders/people
Codeweavers employ, going to feel about people like you posting things to try
and turn people away from using Crossover? What if it costs them their job?
What if then, they can no longer add to and improve the Wine code, making it
improve less slowly? Can you tell me/us who exactly is winning in this 'FREE'
little world you're foisting upon us?....

...I feel sure you probably thought you were doing something incredibly useful
here, but fact is you've done something incredibly foolhardy... especially in
the mood I'm in, slaving over a hot Amtel... we all know PoL & WineSkin & others
exist, we all know they each can live happily beside Crossover, Wine pure in a
concurrent fashion..(and if you didn't know such, now you do 8)... but even this
much possibly misses a fundamental point overall...

....many folks 'around here' buy/have bought/continue to buy Crossover and other
Open Source softwares, as it's the only sure way that they can contribute something
back into such initiatives. Folks without any software or computing skills can
find it difficult to 'give something back' to the Free Software community, and
buying Crossover licensing is one sure way of helping to ensure that aspect of
Free Software usage 'stays healthy and is nourished to grow'...

..oh, here's a tip ... if you do end up using more than one schema to handle the
otherwise 'traditional' synonyms of $WINEPREFIX, it's best to alter the location
of the $my_documents link directory (if possible), to avoid the different wine
versions from incidentally futzing with the same files... actually, I find it
best to limit things to 2 Wine versions/setups per user account..at least, that
seems to cover it for the 350-odd win32 games/apps I have...

Cheers!

Artist Formally Known as Dot wrote:

Hi,

Oh...I've done this before, without even noticing - reached over
to tap
left-shift and tagged the dreaded caps-lock key, typed 2 lines in 2
seconds
and blindly hit the enter key to post it before looking up...I know
how you
feel. I also know that God doesn't care too much about us mere
mortals and
our tinkerings with computers and software ; I don't think God uses
these
devices ... and last time I checked, the notion of swearing to God
about
software is probably a Bad Thing[tm] ... or off topic at least =)

[...]

...I feel sure you probably thought you were doing something
incredibly useful
here, but fact is you've done something incredibly foolhardy...
especially in
the mood I'm in, slaving over a hot Amtel... we all know PoL &
WineSkin & others
exist, we all know they each can live happily beside Crossover, Wine
pure in a
concurrent fashion..(and if you didn't know such, now you do 8)...
but even this
much possibly misses a fundamental point overall...

Well said Don!

Of course, being ever-developing, ever-improving pieces of software, CX and CXG will have their faults, but if you need help, the forums are here for just that.
A little searching in the forums could help you out, and if the problem you have is not there, you can give an overview and someone will be able to help you- us Advocates try to be helpful, you know, and amongst the experts like the staff, the ninjas and people like Don there will be someone who will be able to help you in some way.

So instead of denouncing a fine piece software, make a thread with your problems and a little info on your system hardware so someone can help you out.

Alex

Hi,

@Don, it was really a pleasure to read your comment with such nice "deeply" information for new users, even with such "unfriendly" start of the thread. You are and will maybe ever be my personal advocate hero and inspiration. Not kidding 😏

@ing_social: There are other companies (at least one) and products which are based on wine where you can rant on who really harmed the wine community and development i think. But that is also not the point.

I haven't seen many companies like codeweavers doing such a great,friendly and helpful support job. The development of cx/cxg seems to be well driven structured, even if you have a stupid question, you get help from the ninjas (yes of course, also from the community).
And if you are not happy and have good reasons you even sometimes get your money back. Which company does that?

The advocate program should also be mentioned which is a great idea. If you will give something back helping here, you can ask to be an advocate. As advocate, you don't have to pay for the stuff you are testing, you can also use the yet stable versions, but codeweavers asks you to do your advocate job: trying beta versions and giving reports back, helping on the forum, be active with the time you can donate. I think that's a really fair and helpful deal for both sides.

I also use PoL for testing sometimes, i really like it but in addition to all the stuff Don explained, you should note that the work which is done here also with the crosstie system is more important than just hacking bash scripts (which PoL simply uses) to do dirty fixes. The fixes here are done more on the wine core instead of maybe bad hacks. On PoL, i was fighting with 10-20 wine versions in parallel on some games because some games were only working on version x.y.z, some other only with a.b.c and so on.

I am working with cx/cxg since ~3 month as advocate.
If something is working with cx it feels more stable (for me), does less crashes and so on. Yes, sometimes you can use applications much faster with a PoL/wine or plain wine version, but that doesn't mean that it is really more stable or better working. But this is just my personal point of view.

Bye
Björn

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVXFIeHJHRWFmTmdMY2Y2eCIsImdkcHIiOjB9