CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover Linux - Office 2007 Flawless Except for Font Smoothing

I just installed Office 2007 via your trial version of Crossover Linux and am extremely impressed with how polished the install was - if only all Linux programs installed so effortlessly. The only issue that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on purchasing CL is that I can't figure out how to achieve font smoothing. I know it is possible as there are Winetricks available that supposedly get it working, but I am afraid to run those and botch the installation (Crossover is appealing to me precisely because I don't have to command-line my way to a working installation).

If running winetricks are indeed the way there, then I'm happy to do so, but I thought to ask you all your thought before proceeding down that route.

Running Sabayon 5.3 (Gentoo-based distribution) x64

Hi,

You can use winetricks on Crossover, but seeing as you're trying to avoid
commandline....what exactly would you be installing via winetricks? Let me
know, and if possible I can give you the crossover equivalent.

Cheers!

Hi Thanks for your offer to help. Apparently running the following:

$ ./winetricks fontsmooth-rgb

works to provide font smoothing/cleartype like effect.

I went ahead and installed winetricks, but it was unable to find the Wine application - I chack it up to how Crossover installs Wine, but don't know enough about system structure and all to try and meddle with it. Do you think there is a crossover equivalent to this?

Thanks much.

Hi,

Cut&paste the following data into a plaintext editor ;

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002

Save the file as fs_rgb.reg

In cxsetup (manage bottles) highlight your bottle, and click on the Run Command button.
In the window that pops up, type in the command;

regedit /path/to/fs_rgb.reg

Run this command -- it will start the registry editor and set the value for you.

Alternately you can use winetricks directly by changing the WINEPREFIX variable to equal
your $bottle_dir, so your commandline above would become;

$ WINEPREFIX=/full/path/to/[bottle_name] ./winetricks fontsmooth-rgb

Cheers!

This fix does NOT work for me.
I am a purchaser of Crossover but cannot get smoothing to work in Office 2003 (or anything else).

I have checked my registry and I have these keys set just as instructed -- but still no smoothing.

I have even gone so far as to uninstall Crossover, install pure wine, then use winetricks to install the core fonts and font smoothing, and it works FINE!

Why won't this registry fix work for me within Crossover? Is there something else I can check to make this work? I have purchased crossover twice in the last several years in hopes that this issue would be resolved, but never has it worked for me. PLEASE let me know what else I can try.

Is my problem not having the fonts that are installed in wine by winetricks? If so, can you please give a more basic explanation of how to execute winetricks and have it fine the bottle directory?

Why is this still a problem in the latest releases of Crossover? Is there some significant user set that does NOT want their fonts to look smooth? Am I missing something basic about the way all this is set up?

this is VERY frustrating and I cannot imagine why a commercial package like crossover linux is not set up with this as the default.

thanks

Same here. I currently only using Office 2007. So fa so good but I get no font smoothing in general. Some menu text feel like there is some font smoothing enabled but very weak, but most of the text have no font smoothing!

Anyway to enable?

Running Ubuntu 10.04 x86.

I am having the same problem as earlier posters in Crossover Linux 9.0.0 with Office 2003. It's been a year since the last post in this thread ... has everyone else just given up, or is there a fix?

The fonts are spindly and hard to read (though increasing the point size to 120 in Crossover helps a bit). I too have bought Crossover twice in the last year or so and I'm certainly not going to buy it again. And just because I bought 9.0.0 just over a year ago I can't raise a ticket ... not particularly pleased.

Yes, I have the registry entries described, and they're correct.
Yes I have ia32-libs installed (I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit).

Surely we can get a fix for this!

This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

So did you ever come up with a fix to the font smoothing?

Henry Law wrote:

I am having the same problem as earlier posters in Crossover Linux
9.0.0 with Office 2003. It's been a year since the last post in
this thread ... has everyone else just given up, or is there a fix?

The fonts are spindly and hard to read (though increasing the point
size to 120 in Crossover helps a bit). I too have bought Crossover
twice in the last year or so and I'm certainly not going to buy it
again. And just because I bought 9.0.0 just over a year ago I can't
raise a ticket ... not particularly pleased.

Yes, I have the registry entries described, and they're correct.
Yes I have ia32-libs installed (I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit).

Surely we can get a fix for this!

This issue has been forwarded to the [b]Official CodeWeavers Ticket
System[/b]. If you have observed this issue and would like to
report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to
info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a
link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR1JDRmZKcExTRUdXVEJkUyIsImdkcHIiOjB9