CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Legal issues

Greetings , i am a recent linux user who would like to ask one question before i decide to buy or not buy crossover games.

Some windows applications say you must have windows installed to legally use them like direct x or internet explorer , active x , etc.

How is it legal to run them in crossover when they clearly state you can't legally use them without windows .

I am extremely concerned about this and i will buy crossover if you can explain this to me and provide evidence for what you say , i am sure that this will clarify it for others concerned of legal issues.

Laws vary. Your ability to run a license restricted piece of software depends on many variables. You should consult a lawyer for legal questions. Where I'm located for instance, I'm allowed to use software that may or may not be used for 100% legal purposes. Web-browsers for instance can be used to download pirated files, view illegal images, post illegal comments, etc... but the use/sale/distribution of said software is not prohibited (at least not yet). You should read and understand any license that you agree to and determine the impact said license will have on you. Some licenses, license use on a computer, others to a user. In some cases violating the license has "criminal" ramifications, other violations "revoke" usage rights and are subject to "contract" law. So many questions... so many possible answers...

I am more worried about what microsoft would have to say if i was ever identified as using software from them and not having windows , you see i live in romania and our law system is incompetent ... but a lawsuite from microsoft is a different story :P i just don't like risks for example another related question is , would microsoft be able to see what we do on our pc's by using software installed in crossover, there are 2 big questions here each important ''is it legal'' and ''would microsoft ever notice'' , again this is a serious concern if you take a look at people who microsoft stepped on in the past like those 3 chinese guys who got 3.5 years in prison and 145 k $ fine , its rly not something good to do.

Note that any "opinions" found on a list such as this have zero validity - anywhere. They are just opinions. If you want a LEGAL opinion (which is still "just an opinion") you need to consult a Lawyer in your native country who is familiar with the "speciality" involved. (I.e don't ask a Real Estate or Divorce Lawyer about Computer law.)

Dranath wrote:

I am more worried about what Microsoft would have to say if i was
ever identified as using software from them and not having windows ,
you see i live in romania and our law system is incompetent ... but
a lawsuit from Microsoft is a different story :P

Not really. Any lawsuit is totally dependent upon the vagaries of the law, and its interpretation and enforcement in any particular country. No lawsuit from Microsoft in the US would have any validity beyond the law system of Romania.

Dranath wrote:

i just don't like risks for example another related question is ,
would Microsoft be able to see what we do on our pc's by using
software installed in crossover,

The "simple answer" is -- yes. Such monitoring software is called a virus or a worm. It can be installed on any computer with any operating system/software installations. Is such an occurrence probable? Not very. How does that software get installed? The same way any virus or worm is installed on any computer.

Dranath wrote:

there are 2 big questions here each important ''is it legal'' and
''would Microsoft ever notice'' , again this is a serious concern if
you take a look at people who Microsoft stepped on in the past like
those 3 chinese guys who got 3.5 years in prison and 145 k $ fine ,
its rly not something good to do.

I am unfamiliar with the case you are referring to. Did prosecution happen in China or in the US? "Trafficking" is different from "Using."

In general (in Western Law), there are two "legal" situations -- Criminal and Civil. Criminal legal situations result in Fines and Prison time. Civil legal situations result in payments by one party to another in the form of "restitution" or "settlement." By their nature Civil "prosecutions" cary neither jail time nor fines. A private entity, such as Microsoft, cannot bring a Criminal charge against anyone. Only a "state" prosecutor can do so can bring a Criminal charge, and the allocation must be a violation of a LAW, not of, for example, a Copyright infringement. [A private entity can file a "complaint" with the state, but the state must decide to prosecute.

However, in general, any effort by Microsoft involved in filing a lawsuit is dependent upon the "damage" (basically financial) which Microsoft perceives as happening to it. If you are a private individual the probability of Microsoft taking an interest is likely less than zero. If you are a SUCCESSFUL company (where damages might be recouped in sufficiently large amounts as to cover Microsoft's costs) you might be a potential target. If you are a Government entity, then Microsoft might be very interested, but would be forced to resort to Diplomacy to resolve the issue, as, again in general, Governments are "sovereign" and under no compulsion to honor the laws of another country unless there are specific treaties to that effect which they wish to honor. ("Cross-border" disputes are incredibly tangled webs.)

I had found the 3 chinese guys being sued on the internet on some point but i cant find it guess you will have to take my word on that one .

Thanks for the time you took to answer my questions i will take this all into consideration probably gona buy crossover since i think you make some good points , and since microsoft has not taken any action related to it maybe they just don't care hm well thats just speculation .

Let me add my two cents worth of opinion here. For what it's worth since I am not a lawyer, and I live in Canada.

When you are using Crossover Office itself, you're essentially using WINE, which emulates Windows. It's not Windows, but a program which looks as much as possible like Windows to other programs you want to install. It's completely legal to install a program which emulates another program.

When you install, say Microsoft Office 2003 in your CrossOver application, you're using, I presume, a legally purchased or acquired copy of Office 2003. Microsoft shouldn't complain when you're paying them for software, even if you want to install it on a different operating system, for example linux/Crossover Office. After you buy it, it's YOUR software.

Of course, all bets are off if you want to install pirated Windows software using Crossover, since pirated software is pirated software, and the legal vendors are not being paid.

Bob

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibjc0bm13YXdwNWR5QUdIdiIsImdkcHIiOjB9