CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Setting Outlook as default email and calendar program in Gnome?

Is it possible? If yes. how can I do it? (handling mailto: links, clicking on clock etc, replace Evolution completely)?

[edit - this answer applies to GNOME 3, and there is probably an easier way of doing it that I haven't figured out, yet]

Looks like the answer is "yes", though I haven't gotten it down perfectly, yet.

For basic functionality, i.e. Outlook itself opens when clicking on a "mailto" link, modify this file

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

and where you see

x-scheme-handler/mailto=

copy in the the Outlook desktop file, which you'll find in that same directory. Its full and proper name will be something like

cxmenu-cxoffice-fe1d7ae7-8588-43ca-b79e-cb5ac2d5431f-1qv24ea-Microsoft+Office+Outlook+2007.desktop

Remember to put a ";" at the end of the .desktop file entry. As mentioned, this will just open up Outlook, itself. No further action will be taken, and if Outlook is already open, you'll get another Outlook window. Annoying.

So, I created a new .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications called

cxmenu-cxoffice-fe1d7ae7-8588-43ca-b79e-cb5ac2d5431f-1qv24ea-Microsoft+Office+Outlook+2007+mailto.desktop

by opening up the standard .desktop file, and changing "Exec=" to

Exec=/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --cx-app outlook.exe -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

(see for reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312346)

which will only work if your MS Office 2007 bottle is set as default inside manage bottles.

So, with this new "mailto.desktop" file in the "x-scheme-handler/mailto=" fields within the mimeapps.list file, clicking on a mailto link in firefox will open up a new message window in outlook. But...the "to" field is blank in the message.

If you're able to perfect the process, let me know! That's about as much time as I have to mess with this for now.

Looking at just "mailto":

under GNOME 2 you could write a script, a-la

#!/bin/sh
# use mailto to open Outlook message

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle "Microsoft Office 2007" /home/$USER/.cxoffice/Microsoft\ Office\ 2007/drive_c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office12/OUTLOOK.EXE -c ipm.note -m "$1"

And the point System>Preferred Applications>Mail Client>Custom to

<path to script> %s

GNOME 3 doesn't have this particular Custom setup, at least not on the GNOME 3 currently shipped in Fedora 15. Using gconf-editor I tried setting "desktop>gnome>url-handlers>mailto" to the above "<path to script> %s", but this didn't have any effect. Changing firefox's mailto settings to point to the script %s does work for links in Firefox, though.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiemRuWUpmS21ZRjZrTDZ0cyIsImdkcHIiOjB9