CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

reading Windows help files in Crossover

The help system seems to work in Word 2000. In IrfanView 4.28 it seems to start but all pages come up blank. In Minitab 12, I may or not be able to open help and if I can the first page appears, but links never take me where they say they will -- not even close. So only in Word is help helpful. This is a small sample but from other posts on the Internet it appears that there are problems with help in many applications so I am posting here rather than burying this under some single application nobody uses.

A program-independent workaround for recent help files that end in CHM is to open them in the Linux program kchmviewer. This will also let you convert the CHM file to a web site if that's more useful.

I am guessing folks trying Crossover are using Windows applications they already know well so maybe they never use the help system, but if we want to switch an entire office of non-geeks to Linux and bring along a few Windows apps we need working help systems.

This is a fairly widespread problem. Many help systems are HTML-based and function better if a web browser is installed in the same bottle, but that in turn can lead to further issues. So, in an age where most "how do I?" questions with computers can be answered online, we tend to err on the side of leaving browser engines out of installs unless absolutely necessary.

I'd try installing the "Microsoft HTML Rendering Engine" (version 6 or 7) in the same bottle as a given application. This will install the underlying engine of IE 6 or 7, and you can find these entries in the "Community Supported Applications" tab in Crossover's Install software menu.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZFlyUFV6cmVVWHk5MlBBQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9