CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver Professional + Games Install -> KDE menu issue

My guess is that this is an issue with the CrossOver Games installer, but I can't tell.

I am on OpenSUSE 11.2 x86_64 running KDE 4.4.4 and I'm installing crossover-games-demo-9.2.1-1.i386.rpm and crossover-pro-9.2.0-1.i386.rpm.

Say, I start with a clean system (no CrossOver installs).
Then I install CrossOver Professional and I can see the CrossOver submenu in the KDE menu.
Then, say I install CrossOver Games. The "CrossOver" submenu disappears and the "CrossOver Games" submenu appears.
So I right-clicked the KDE start button and selected the Menu Editor. I can see both "CrossOver" and "CrossOver Games" submenus, but "CrossOver" is empty.

To test again, I uninstalled both and installed CrossOver Games first so that the "CrossOver Games" submenu shows up. Then, after installing CrossOver Professional, I still only see the "CrossOver Games" submenu just as before, and I can verify in the menu editor that the empty "CrossOver" directory still exists.

Is this a problem with the installer?

I had a similar problem installing under MEPIS 8.5.03. My home partition was retained from MEPIS 8.0 and crossover software was reinstalled as though it was just a normal upgrade. At the end, my kicker menu had crossover office and game entries with nothing under them. In the menu editor, only a cryptic "Hidden" entry appeared under each.

This was fixed by accident. I attempted to edit the menu and just add the entries needed. After adding one entry under each of the headings, Crossover and Crossover Games, the normal entries magically appeared after saving the changes. My own entries appeared, but were no longer needed and could be deleted.

Have fun,
Rob

Sadly, I have to update this. The menu "fix" was not permanent. After restarting, only the entires that I added to the menu appear in the Crossover menu. This isn't acceptable, since there is no entry to add new Windows software, for example. If nobody has any ideas about what to do, I will start a trouble ticket.

Rob

Digging around a bit, the following post was found regarding essentially the same menu issue: Crossover + Crossover Games

The fix in that post doesn't work for me, or at least it can't be easily applied, since my system is different. Nonetheless, it does point the way to a possible solution or path to a solution. The key seems to know where the kde menu configuration file resides and figure out why it doesn't include or link to the CrossOver menu structure.

Rob

Here is another solution that might work for you:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=828326;list=6;ticket_level=0
It worked perfectly for me.

AM,

Thanks for coming back and adding the solution to your post. It worked for me too -- easy, painless.

Rob

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN3VTQTlYSFVNWVRVZ251YiIsImdkcHIiOjB9