CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

RHEL 6 sound problems

Hi!!

I have used Crossover since a long time and it had always worked fine. However, since version 11 there is a problem with the audio. It doesn't play right. I'm using Crossover 12 on RHEL 6.3 32 bits. I use only one application (a game) under it. When I start the game, it will take longer than usual to start, and when it opens, the sound is distorted, like it plays a fraction of a second, then it pauses a fraction of a second, then it starts again and it keeps doing that very fast (starts/pauses) like 4 times a second. If I go to pulseaudio monitor, I notice that in the Applications tab the wineaudio flickers very fast, like pulseaudio detects it playing, then it doesn't, then it does...just like the sound. I'm sorry if I'm not clear, English is not my first language. Is there native support for Pulseaudio on Crossover? I noticed on the Pulseaudio monitor that it seems to use the ALSA compatibility.

Any clue on how to fix the choppy sound is appreciated.

Thanks!

Can you try another application, e.g. the Windows version of the VLC media player? It would be interesting to know if the problem is related to the application or to the backend. I suspect it was caused by transitioning to a Windows 7 style audio API.

CrossOver doesn't have a pulseaudio backend yet. The Alsa backend is supposed to work, but some older PA versions have bugs.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure the problem is application related, this game used to work perfectly under crossover 9.x and 10.x, (I'm even the only advocate of Crimsonlad, which is the game in question). I first noticed the audio problem on 11.x, and it countinues on 12.0. Also, I have always used the same distro (RHEL 6), I have not even reinstalled this laptop in like 2 or 3 years, and all the other audio applications (either PulseAudio or ALSA) work fine. Is there any way I can get logs to help you understand the issue better?

Regards.

Hi!

I just tried the latest Crossover 12.1 with the same application (Crimsonland) and the problem persists. I can also describe the issue better now (English is not my first language and I learned a new word!): the audio is stuttering and it plays a bit slower than normal. I hope this new description helps understand better the issue. I will also try the VLC for Windows and report back.

Regards.

Update: I just tested the lates VLC for Windows and it plays an mp3 in the same way as the music from the game sounds (stuttering and a bit slower). I have always ran with SELinux in permissive mode, so I don't think that's the problem.

Any idea is appreciated

Thanks!

Second update: If I go to the bottle's control panel, to the audio tab, and test the audio, it sounds distorted, I think in the same way as the other audio, so the problem is not the applications installed since the very test of crossover's audio sounds wrong.


This issue has been forwarded to the Official CodeWeavers Ticket System. If you have observed this issue and would like to report it as well, please open a support ticket or send an email to info@codeweavers.com with a description of what you are seeing and a link to this post.

Thank you!
The CodeWeavers Team


Hi!

I just wanted to report that this issue got solved. I got this in my email from Andrew Balfour:

-- Email Start --
Hello,

One thing that may help is try editing PulseAudio's config (/etc/pulse/daemon.conf).

Change the line
default-fragment-size-msec = 10
to
default-fragment-size-msec = 5

If that doesn't help, please throw us a log with the channels from http://wiki.winehq.org/Sound

Thanks,
Andrew

--Email Ending --

After checking the file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, I noticed there was this line:

; default-fragment-size-msec = 25

which, as far as I know, it means the default value was being used and that value was 25. I added this line to the end of the file:

default-fragment-size-msec = 10

(didn't use Andrew's suggested value of 5) and the problem seems to be 99% solved (it stutters sometimes, but it's not that frequent) so I think this issue is solved.

Thanks for all the help!!

Germán

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1NzkzNDc5LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNUdrTnBwV2RRV3MyckNVWiIsImdkcHIiOjB9