CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Installing Flashplayer replaced my native Linux Flash Player?...

So I was poking around with CX Professional and I installed IE7 and flash player (I assumed I needed to install it to use flash in IE) at any rate though - the flashplayer Crossover installed appears to have over written my native Linux flash?...

A.) Why is this?
B.) How do I un-do this and get my native flash working again?

Also on a side note - it only appears to have changed the flash for Google Chrome (my default browser) while Firefox has been left alone...

Help!
~Jeff

Hi Jeff,

My guess is the flash player associations have been assigned (at the
window manager level) to call the crossover installed player instead
of your system's player...

In cxbottlemanager or what-have-you, click on the bottle entry, then
Configure=>Associations tab....check in there if what I mention has
happened (for a particular file extension), and adjust things to suit
wat you need...

Cheers!

I had the same problem, but with both Firefox and Chromium being affected. It had nothing to do with file associations. It seems that the browsers simply look for plugins at startup and that search seems not to be limited to the default plugin directory. So the Windows flash plugin was detected and added to the top of my plugin list. That means that the browser tried to play videos with the Windows flash plugin first and failed (but apparently not in a way that made the browser try a different plugin).

The only solution for me was to uninstall flash in Crossover. This is not a problem because I had only installed it to try out something anyway. It might be more of a problem for someone who needs flash in Crossover for an application but doesn't want it to interfere with the native browser.

Is there a way to fix this or is this more of a browser problem?

Hi,

I have IE7 + flashplayer installed in...err...well, more than 6 crossover bottles  

spread across both CXG & CXO installations -- I do not get this behavior. I can invoke
this behavior (if I wish) by altering my user account mimetype defaults and/or file
extension associations. This said...

1. on my systems, firefox is installed on a per user account basis inside the user's
    homedir -- there is no 'system wide' browser (caveat konqueror which I never use 8)

2. on my systems, which are only ever used by myself, all my crossover installations
    also are installed on a per user account basis inside the user's homedir -- I have no
    need for a system-wide crossover installation in /opt as I am the only individual
    using the machine.

If you're installing crossover into /opt I am unsure what the possible ramifications
of that maybe, but they may well apply system-wide...I do not know, I have no need
for a multi-user system wide crossover installation. If there's a problem here, it's
not the browser -- I say 'if' because my setup cannot recreate this problem, but as
said I can invoke this behavior if I so choose. If you only ever use crossover for
yourself, then a crossover installation into $HOME is the saner approach..

"[i]If you are installing CrossOver on a personal computer for private use, you should use
this installation mode. It is the easiest, simplest, and safest installation method.[/i]"

citing: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-pro/install - 'User Mode'

If you -do- have only single user mode installations of crossover, then this sort of
issue must be spawn of the crossover/WM interactions via way of file extension and/or
mimetype settings that are common to both...just where that is or what's a play with that
will depend on a number of things, not least of which being which window-manager/distro you
are using...you'd have to check around on that front.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Which distribution of Linux do you use, and have you verified which plugin is being loaded by visiting about:plugins (or the google chrome equivalent) in your browser?
On a side note, is your google chrome installation wine or crossover based?

Hi,

pcallycat wrote:

Which distribution of Linux do you use,

I build my own linux systems, have done for 10years now...ergo; 'My Distribution'

pcallycat wrote:

and have you verified which plugin is being loaded by visiting
about:plugins (or the google chrome equivalent) in your browser?

Don't have to, I already know my plugins live in ~/firefox/plugins - this sort of installation type
excludes the possibility of the browser looking for plugin libs anywhere else (part of why I install
firefox like this 8)

pcallycat wrote:

On a side note, is your google chrome installation wine or crossover
based?

I do not use google chrome...

Cheers!

apologies, clicked the wrong 'reply' button methinks. Was responding to OP. I was curious as to what the environment was of the original problem.

Hehe...no worries....it's always best to use the 'quote reply' noodle when addressing
the OP's posting to avoid this sort of confusion 8)

Cheers!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQlJWWE5YUzRaUHFWcUxYVSIsImdkcHIiOjB9