CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Sound question -- USB & HDMI outputs.

Heya gang!

I got sound working fine if I want the onboard speakers on my laptop to pipe the output, but how do I configure CXG to use either my USB headset, or the HDMI output to my TV?

Thanks.

Hi,

At present, you can't do this in CXG as such -- the wine engine will hook
the default sound device (hw:0,0) which on a linux box is likely to be the
first sound device on the alsa driver stack. You can change this behavior at
a system level by using module load parameters so...for example...the USB device
becomes soundcard0 and the other devices appear beyond that (soundcard1, 2, etc..)
but then you'd need reconfigure every program using sound to use the new device
layout...(this is a bit messy and painful but it can be done)..

Newer versions of wine however are capable of using the JACK audio system, and
in that scenario you would be able to direct the sound output to any device you
wish using something like qjackctl to configure things. Hopefully the JACK audio
driver for wine will turn up in crossover one day in the future..

Cheers!

For the record, on a Mac, CrossOver just uses the device which is configured as the default output device in System Preferences.

Sorry for the late replies, been busy :D

Thanks for the heads up on the whats what on both platforms. I do have both a few Macs, and a pile of Linux systems, one of each is worthy of gaming. Would be nice to be able to pipe the audio a bit better, but apparently its not that far off on Linux at least.

Thanks again!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidUVlaHBVOVBhQ1ZQdzd2TSIsImdkcHIiOjB9