CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Start a second instance of wine

Hello,

is there a way to start a second instance of Wine with the same bottle?

I'm using Wine with a Virtual Desktop (because of Dualmon) and after starting a second version it's inside that desktop.

Thanks

Hi,

This has issues at two different levels -- I'm not saying it isn't possible,
I haven't tried it myself...but I do know where the hotspots are going to be...

The first one is at an application level...ie; you mention running two instances
of the same app out of the same bottle? That's okay, provided the app itself is
going to be happy dealing with the fact there's two if it running, more than likely
accessing the same runtime data (save games, configs etc) where these things will
commonly converge..ie; in the bottle itself or in your $homedir/somedir/ location.
That, is going to be app specific....

The second issue, is how crossover/wine is going to see the dualhead setup. If I
just presume nvidia drivers/chipset here, you've got two routes - 'twinview' or
'separate screens'....these things present themselves differently at the X level.
With twinview, with the app going for fullscreen and emulated virtual desktop OFF
in winecfg, it's likely to see position 0,0 on DISPLAY:0.0 and then set it's xcoord
at max_x and ycoord at max_y and try to stretch across both displays. You can turn
emulated desktop ON, and move one windowed instance to the other screen one supposes,
but this is probably not want you want...

If you use the separate screen config, you'll effectively end up with two $DISPLAY
targets. When you start the first instance of the app with crossover/wine, that
should default to the current DISPLAY variable as determined the the current Xsession
...this will typically be DISPLAY=:0.0 -- the other monitor would be DISPLAY=:0.1 or
such. In theory at least, launching one instance of the app normally with crossover,
and then launching a second instance of the same app from the commandline setting the
evn_var for DISPLAY might work...ie; your command line would look something like;

DISPLAY=:0.1 ~/cxgames/bin/wine --bottle [bottlename] --cx-app [appname]

That's a bit shorthandish but you should get the idea of what's needed here...

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Thanks,

the application itself can run multiple times. It works perfectly under Windows Vista/7.

I'm using NVidia Dualmon with Xinerama compiled in (KDE). So the DISPLAY-option don't help :(

A way like --newinstance or something like that would be perfect. I can start different bottles, so i could duplicate the bottle and start it two times.

Thanks

Hi,

Xinerama is a horrid thing at the best of times - I typically have it disabled.

You might find the following couple of threads of interest;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2039512

Cheers!

Thanks for the Links.

But TwinView/Xinerama is not my problem atm. Because of the Virtual Desktop every new instance starting inside this Virtual Desktop.

Thanks

Ahh.....that's a different thing -- every bottle is in effect equivalent to the
mainstream wine ~/.wine directory, ergo if you enable emulated virtual desktop
for a bottle, that setting is inherited by all apps in that bottle (or multiple
instances of the same app started from within that bottle). There is no way to
work that behavior. The only way you could work around that behavior is if the
app itself could be started in it's own windowed mode >inside< the emulated
virtual desktop....ie; if your virtual desktop was set to 1680x1050 and the app's
configuration was set to windowed mode @ 1024x768 and you launched 2 instances
of the app, 2 instances of the app in it's own 1024x768 windowed mode will appear
within the 1680x1050 emulated virtual desktop window.

Understand, I don't know if the app needs emulated virtual desktop enabled to
run or not --- if it does..ie; each instance of the app needs it's own emulated
virtual desktop, then the only thing you could do is use the 'Add Duplicate'
button to duplicate (clone) the same bottle, and then start one instance of the
app from the original bottle, and another instance from the duplicated bottle,
and then each instance would be in it's own emulated virtual desktop window...

Cheers!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQlpBclZoQVNRcHhQc2Q0MiIsImdkcHIiOjB9