CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

What is Crossover equivalent of exec wine

I am trying to get a Spotify link to play from Firefox browser.

On the web I found instructions that include creating a script as follows
echo '#!/bin/sh' > ~/.browser2spotify
echo 'exec wine "C:\Program Files\Spotify\spotify.exe" /uri "$@"' >> ~/.browser2spotify
chmod 755 ~/.browser2spotify

Web page is http://heratech.net/blog/sham/spotify-under-wine-linux-cant-open-spotify-links-firefox

What is the Crossover equivalent of exec wine?

Thanks

Hi Keith,

Really depends on whether you installed in your $HOME dir or into /opt -- a mainstream
wine install will (typically) end up putting wine in your $PATH...but with crossover...

[installed in homedir, presuming CXO]

~/cxoffice/bin/wine

[installed in /opt, presuming CXO]

/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine

Cheers!

Thanks

I can now click on a spotify link in my browser and have it play the music.

Just some additional info for future reference:

If you have a default bottle configured in the Manage Bottles window, then the "naked" wine command will use that.

If you don't have a default bottle configured, you have to specify one by adding "--bottle <bottle name>" to the wine command that Don listed. If the bottle name contains spaces or punctuation, you have to escape or quote it so it survives shell evaluation intact. Usually, the easiest thing to do is surround it with single quote (') characters.

That holds true >provided< you don't have wine pure in your path, and because I
have, I automatically assume every other linux user has as matter of course,
hence the penchant to example full commandline paths. B^)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiemFhZFE0djdkUk5TVUNIZiIsImdkcHIiOjB9