CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

New Release?

I have been waiting to install, because there was supposed to be a new version of the linux biuld coming down the pipe.

I know that I will probably get a nice support extension, because of the promo that i got, but... Is this coming anytime soon? Is there a pre-release build. Should i install 8.0.0? or wait?

Thanks!

GF

Crossover Office 9 is slated to come out this month, if you purchase now you can start with 8.0 and upgrade later. We're pretty close to release at this point.

Thank you very much, I am very happy with 8.0.0, but I had the impression that the mallard thing was going to be ready earlier, that is why I decided to wait in order to do a "more clean" install straight to 9.

I guess that now it doesn't really matter as I got 8.0 installed. I couldnt wait!

Thanks.

Question: By "Crossover office 9" you mean a different version than "professional"? or "Pro" will become "office"?

Gary Flores wrote:

Thank you very much, I am very happy with 8.0.0, but I had the
impression that the mallard thing was going to be ready earlier,
that is why I decided to wait in order to do a "more clean" install
straight to 9.

I guess that now it doesn't really matter as I got 8.0 installed. I
couldnt wait!

Thanks.

Question: By "Crossover office 9" you mean a different version than
"professional"? or "Pro" will become "office"?

Hi,

What Andrew refers to as "Crossover office 9", will be the same core engine
as will be used in both Crossover 9 Standard & Crossover 9 Pro...(which
we call the crossover office releases)

Cheers!

Any update on this???

will there be an update for crossover games also?

Yes, we're still working very hard on 9.0; I introduced a delay a few weeks ago
when I demanded one part of the process be revamped (we kept stumbling over
the install wizard, and I felt that the adage of 'fool me once, shame on me,
fool me twice, shame on you' suggested we needed to fix it so no one stumbled any more).

We're just about past that delay and cranking hard. We hope to have the
beta coming shortly; the new games release will be immediately behind.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Hi,

Last I heard, the timeline here looked like...

crossover 9 std/pro is released (maybe sometime this month)
crossover-games 9 gets released sometime after that (maybe a month or 2 later)

As I understand it, there will possibly be a little lag in the crossover-games 9
release, dependent on whether or not any quick fixups are required for crossover 9
after it's released....

..and as always, exactly when this all happens...is when 'the software is ready for
release'...

Cheers!

Jeremy White wrote:

Yes, we're still working very hard on 9.0; I introduced a delay a
few weeks ago
when I demanded one part of the process be revamped (we kept
stumbling over
the install wizard, and I felt that the adage of 'fool me once,
shame on me,
fool me twice, shame on you' suggested we needed to fix it so no one
stumbled any more).

We're just about past that delay and cranking hard. We hope to have
the
beta coming shortly; the new games release will be immediately
behind.

Cheers,

Jeremy

yay great news to hear jeremy thank you guys very much.
-corey

This may seem like a dumb question, but why is there still a Crossover AND a Crossover Games?

I've been using CX and CXG since days of 7.x and would think that it would be to Coadeweavers extreme benefit to eliminate the maintenance of two code paths. Especially since this been true for at least three years and now, apparently, two complete releases.

This especially, since in my understanding, CXG is an "enhanced" CX ... implying there is code in CXG which is not in CX, not vice versa.

William H. Magill wrote:

This may seem like a dumb question, but why is there still a
Crossover AND a Crossover Games?

I've been using CX and CXG since days of 7.x and would think that it
would be to Coadeweavers extreme benefit to eliminate the
maintenance of two code paths. Especially since this been true for
at least three years and now, apparently, two complete releases.

This especially, since in my understanding, CXG is an "enhanced" CX
... implying there is code in CXG which is not in CX, not vice
versa.

That's kind of like asking "why is there a stable wine release and also a devel-wine release?",
and as we know, many games require one of the latest wine-devel branches to run, but at the same
time many apps will not work correctly in devel-wine, but work fine in stable-wine...

Essentially, combining the two would actually increase the codeweavers dev's workload by an order
of 10....if a new crossover-office comes out, it might break one or two apps -- if a new crossover
games comes out it might break one or two games --- if they were combined, each release cycle would
require testing across both the app and games genres, and the whole release process would become
much much more complex and no doubt the frequency of new crossover releases would also drop...

Also...as is exampled time and again....when a new game title comes out, and or a officially supported
game changes (from the game content provider), the devs can work on small 'fixup releases' to help this
situation with games, and no have to worry about possible ramifications with apps -- to combine the two
would effectively spell the end of small 'on demand' fixup releases of crossover games, because all
apps would need be tested as well to ensure the fixup release didn't break any apps...

Personally, I can't wait for the day when crossover office refuses to run games at all but runs just about
all apps....and crossover games runs just about all games but doesn't run apps at all...in the end, it
would actually be easier to maintain than what we have now, and certainly easier than combining the two...

Cheers!

William H. Magill wrote:

This may seem like a dumb question, but why is there still a
Crossover AND a Crossover Games?

There are a few reasons that I am aware of:

1. Branding: nobody knew we officially supported some games until we started shipping a Games based product.
  2. Time: It takes us so much time to stabilize Wine for a release. By having two products, it reduces the amount of testing each needs to release.
  3. Stability: Each product (Games vs. Office) has CodeWeavers proprietary magic (or as we call them, "hacks"). These code paths can cause issues for each other. To keep CrossOver Office our Professional level product, we keep our games code separate.

Will Crossover Linux 9 finally fix the HTML printing problem with Outlook 2003?

Is there any changelog or something else available? For what features/fixes can we look forward? :)

Guys, thank you very much for your responses!

I can't wait for the new release! When I started this thread I did it because I wanted to know some official information. I think you are doing a great job and your commitment to deliver a flawless product is very well appreciated.

THANKS!

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNHFxTUg0V2szZHczQU14aCIsImdkcHIiOjB9