CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

How fo I create program launchers and menu items under Linux?

Hi,

I installed the game Civilization IV under Crossover Linux 8. The installation went fine for all three parts of the game. It created three icons on the desktop and three menu items, but only one of them work, the others does nothing. I have looked at the properties for the ones that do not work, but it's really a complicated syntax, not pointing straight to the game executable as it does on Windows. I am able to run it all by finding the actual program executable and click on it from within the bottle where the three Civ IV parts are installed. I have also tried to created links and symlinks on the desktop. but that doesn't work. Finally I tried to create a launcher by right clicking on the desktop and selecting "New Launcher" and point to the executable. No go. I would really like to have icons on the desktop and entries in the menu for the game. What can I do to make all three work? I am running Ubuntu 9.10 with the default Gnome desktop, and Crossover 8 is installed in ~/.cxoffice.

//C

Start the Crossover Run Command program and you can choose the bottle containing Civ 4 and then browse to the .exe of the program you want to run. Basically you need to invoke ~/cxoffice/bin/wine with the .exe path, trying to execute the .exe on its own won't do anything. You can then use that Run Command window to create a new shortcut to launch the program with.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia0ozZFR5ZVFlUnFuUmVoRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9