CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Anyone using 'Crossover Linux' to run TomTom Home, with the model 720T satnav..?

Hello Members

I'm just wondering if there are any 'Crossover Linux' users running Ubuntu 9.10 with a TomTom 720T satnav, or other models, running the latest TomTom Home software through the Crossover application, have you had any success?

Does the 'Crossover Linux' software see the correct satnav hardware drivers?, and if TomTom Home is working for you, does it manage to update all the different aspects and of a 720T satnav, even things like 'Map share' and 'Security camera's' updates.

I am a complete novice regarding Ubuntu, but i have fully installed it on one of my other computer, and it works great.

I'd like to now do a complete installation of Ubuntu 9.10 across the whole partition on a Dell Inspiron 1720 computer that i use for other tasks including the updating of my TomTom 720T satnav, the computer is currently running Vista OS, so if 'Crossover Linux' did work ok for me, i would purchase the Pro version of it.

All members help, and experience would be grateful.

Kind regards
Livio

Hi,

From what I read over at wineHQ about this, you'd need to be running
TomTom Home 2 (or a patch to the version 1 release) to add support for
the 720(x) device -- that said, it looks like communicating with the actual
device itself is subject to a winebug or 2....see;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5367

...and...

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=10219

...which sort of tallies with the codeweaver's C4 pages for TomTom...;

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search?name=tomtom&search=app

So you might be out of luck on that front, but as always, very hard to say
for sure when I don't have/own a TomTom myself ;)

Cheers!

Thanks Don, I think i'll keep searching, and maybe still give it a go.

Just one question though please, am i correct in thinking that the 'Crossover Linux' software does not need a Windows OS partition to work and do it's job, but that a fully installed Ubuntu/Linux OS across the entire hard drive is still ok, in other words 'Crossover' doesn't need access to any Window OS files to make a Windows program of application run, is this correct?

regards
Livio

Livio Coccia wrote:

Thanks Don, I think i'll keep searching, and maybe still give it a
go.

By all means still give it a go - I'm only quoting references, and as I don't have/own
the hardware involved my comments are pretty much unauthoritative in that respect ; if you
do give it a go, perhaps you might think about recording your experiences one of the TomTom
C4 pages I linked to above?...

Livio Coccia wrote:

Just one question though please, am i correct in thinking that the
'Crossover Linux' software does not need a Windows OS partition to
work and do it's job, but that a fully installed Ubuntu/Linux OS
across the entire hard drive is still ok, in other words 'Crossover'
doesn't need access to any Window OS files to make a Windows program
of application run, is this correct?

Essentially this is correct -- you don't need a windows partition nor an installation of
the windows OS to use those apps/games that crossover/wine will run. The caveat to this
is that sometimes crossover/wine needs native (windows) libraries and such (dll files,
registry entries) to run some apps/games, but in these cases we merely install such things
as runtime dependencies (directx, .NET, visual c++ runtimes etc) into the crossover/wine
environment and/or find the required dll files on the 'net and download/copy them into
the crossover bottle involved (every bottle is in effect a virtual C: drive). In such cases
it is sometimes necessary to use 'winecfg' to set library overrides so the wine process loads
the native dll files (instead of the builtin wine equivalent libraries), but elsewise there's
no need to access a windows partition/windows installation to use crossover.

There are exceptions sometimes (some games require patching on a real windows OS and then the
resultant/created files are copied across into the bottle in question), but this is a minority
case of usage...most of the time, nothing like this is required.

Cheers!

Try CoPilot instead. It's much better than TomTom..... I made the switch about 4 months ago and have not looked back.

I use on an HTC Touch Pro 2 T7373

You won't need to sync up to your laptop/PC.

I use TomTom Home2 in a VirtualBox session, I have not tried with the latest Crossover, but previous attempts using wine did not work.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoic1dLc1hXZFVkU2Z4eWZwUSIsImdkcHIiOjB9