CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Windows to Linux Migration for World of Warcraft

I am sorry if I am repeating any posts on this forum, but I have searched most of the day and not found an answer, so I thought I would post here.

I have an existing installation of WoW - Wrath of the Lich on my Windows Partition. I would like to migrate this installation into Crossover games if possible.

I know the installation runs as it is now. I can double click WoW.exe in it's existing partition under windows and it runs really well. What I want to do is migrate the install to Linux under the .cxgames directory, edit the config.wtf file, and configure within the bottle configuration so I can have a shortcut on both desktop and start menu.

I have searched everywhere for a tip sheet or a howto and I cannot find out how to do this.

Can anyone help please? I am new to Linux and Wine(crossover) so I am fumbling around in the dark here.

many thanks in advance
G

I had the same trouble a little while ago. You can not import the installation over sadly. I researched for about 2 weeks or so looking to see how to do it.... but I found a post somewhere on the forums, or in the FAQ's, not really sure which. It stated that you could not import the installation over. You can with WINE, but not Crossover.

You do not have to install WoW in .cxgames to use Crossover Games to run it.

Here is what I do to play World of Warcraft on both Linux and Windows. I have my WoW folder with the entire game installed on a 500GB usb drive (NTFS partitioned). I created a WoW - Wrath of the Lich King bottle in crossover and skipped the installation step. Then goto Applications -> CrossOver Games -> Run a Windows command. This opens the Run Command. In Use bottle choose your WoW - Wrath of the Lich King bottle. Now under the Command browse to your Wow.exe. This does not have to be under the .cxgames directory in your home folder. After you do this you can either click Run or Create Launcher. When you create a launcher make sure you rename it because the default name will not work (the default name is the file path).

I hope that helps.

I am not sure what Blizz was doing back when I played (quit about a year and a half ago), but moving profiles was brutal. I played on one of 4 systems -- 2 macs or 2 linux rigs. I figured I could move the setup around, but no. It was quite painful to get nowhere. I found that at least the addon folder worked, I just had to reconfigure everything. Once I discovered that, life got easier.

What I had to make life easier, was I copied all my discs to my network drive so installs were a breeze, then copied into the install my addons folder. Ran the update on each. Once done go in and configure em all up.

HTH.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOUdWVmFRRVpkeVE3UXozbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9