CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Install Professional

I'm a new Linux Mint (8) user who move over from resource pig Vista. I'm still doing a lot of futzing around trying to learn this OS. I've even ordered the Linux Bible. Last programming I did was on punch cards and I learned a bit of Basic and Fortran... 1! Anyway, I'm trying to get up and going ASAP, so I downloaded CW. Now I know I've a brain cramp in this somewhere, but I can't seem to get the thing installed. This simple instruction needs translation for me:

How to install. Log in as the user who will be using CrossOver and
locate the installation script. It will usually be called
install-crossover-pro-9.0.0.sh but may have a different name,
especially if you downloaded it. Once you have found the installer,
run it as follows:

$ sh install-crossover-pro-9.0.0.sh

The installation script is in my Downloads folder (9.0.0.1). How do I "run" it? There is no "run" command when I right-click. Nothing I try with "Open With..." works. I typed in the install command as specified in the Terminal with no results. I copied it to CD, opened that in the terminal followed by the install command - nada.

What am I missing? Please help.

And excuse me, please, for being a total dummy. 😕

The terminal needs to be "in" the directory you have the installer in.

So, if you put the installer in a folder called Downloads in your home directory, you'd need to

cd /home/yourusername/Downloads

Essentially, you need to able to issue the command "dir" in the Terminal and see the installer in the listed filenames.

Then issue the command to install.

[sheepeh@Pegasus Downloads]$ sh install-crossover-pro-9.0.1.sh 
Verifying archive integrity...OK
Uncompressing CrossOver Linux Professional

If that doesn't work, make sure you've got the filename right (the tab key autocompletes so you don't get it wrong!), and if you're sure it's right but not installing on Mint you may need to

chmod +x install-crossover-pro-9.0.1.sh

and retry (the +x marks it as "executable"). When I issued the command to get the output above I didn't need to +x it but I don't run Mint, either.

Let us know how you get on.

Yeah, I was coming back to relay the info I got on the Mint boards and it was indicated a step was skipped in the instructions and the command

[quote] chmod +x ~/Downloads/install-crossover-pro-9.0.0.sh[/unquote]

was what was missing.

I got it installed with that and loaded MapTools into a bottle with it, but when I try to open the .exe file for the program, it won't launch.

I need to spend a lot more time in front of this computer than I have to get this mess straightened out, but anyone who cares to invade me will just be messin' with a fixed income, aged RPG geek!

There ain't nuthin' of value on this fancy-assed brick o' mine.

I've been using Windows for years. First XP, which I was quite contented with, then Vista a couple o' years after my first system broke. I got so fed up with, first MS mail (started with Hotmail, got disgusted with them bugging me incessantly about Live Mail that I closed all my MS accounts, then threw up my hands trying to tame the Vista monster. So, said to hell with MS, downloaded Linux Mint Helena. I guess I'm just not cut out for this computer stuff anymore. I have a lot of .doc file pertaining to my hobby and OpenOffice wouldn't handle 'em. So today I figure I'll re-install MS Office 2007. Everything went great until I took the install disk out. It's on the computer, installed with CrossOver, but I can't open any Windows files. How in the hell do I get the programs loaded in CrossOver to work?

I know you already answered a specific question on the same subject, but things were never this hard five years ago! Please lead me through this. And if you haven't already guessed, I'm about as dumb as a post in this world of ether.

Sounds to me, that you guy's are all doing things the hard way, for sure ...

For Mint, infact any Debian based O/S,
only download the *.deb file for the program that you are interested in.

Then just 'click' on it.
the installer will then, just 'run'.

so, if you now have CX running under Mint, like I have :-

just copy that *.exe file to your Mint desktop,
& Then just 'click' on it.
the installer will then, just 'run'.
just like under M$.

if, however, you run CX 1st, then you get a chance to specify a little more detail
on the CX side of the M$ installer.

Just how well, it runs under CX, is another matter, altogether.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQjM2eFl4Z2d0YmR6Ymc2ayIsImdkcHIiOjB9