CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I can't install 8.0.0 Standard!

I've asked this question already and the reply got stalled somehow . . . I have Ubuntu 10.04 running inside vista Ultimate. I have purchased and downloaded 8.0.0 Standard and when I click on the download I get this: "This link needs to be opened by and application." Where/how do I find the application that will open this link?

When I bought Crossover a few years ago to install in an older Ubuntu distro, it kinda installed itself. What am I doing wrong here?

Thank you, and please, I'm still new at Ubuntu, so go easy on me, OK?

Please don't open multiple threads for the same issue. If you didn't get replies to your earlier post, it's probably because your answers to the questions were confusing or incomplete and nobody knew how to help you further. And, in general, these forums are for volunteer help from your peers. If you require real support from CodeWeavers, you must use our ticket system.

You say you're running Ubuntu "inside vista Ultimate". You mean you're running Ubuntu within a virtual machine that's hosted by Microsoft Windows Vista? That's a bit of an odd setup. Also, given that you're running Windows, why are you trying to install CrossOver? Usually, CrossOver is for users who aren't running Windows.

Also, you were asked which variant of the CrossOver installer you downloaded. Our website offers a Generic Installer which ends in .sh, an installer for Red Hat, Fedora, Mandriva, or SUSE which ends in .rpm, or two installers (32- or 64-bit) for Debian and Ubuntu which end in .deb. Which did you download?

In which environment, Windows or Ubuntu, are you double-clicking it? Windows won't know what to do with any of those types of files. Ubuntu ought to handle .deb files in a sensible fashion. It may handle .sh files, although you may need to open a terminal or shell window and type "sh /path/to/install-crossover-standard-8.0.0.sh" (you'll have to specify the real path instead of "/path/to", of course).

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiR1FaRjJCRlhGWXVBaEVneCIsImdkcHIiOjB9