CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover download has virus?

I just downloaded the latest version (as of 12/19/2016) of Crossover from the Codeweaver site. My desktop runs Ubuntu ver. 16.04 LTS.

When I began to extract the download package, it displayed a message that the package might harm my computer. Is this true?

Thanks,

Roy in New Mexico

With such a message, one should keep in mind that the usual way of installing under Linux is through the package manager and the package repositories. Randomly downloading things off the web is the insecure "windows" way of doing things.

So what your system is doing is simply reminding you that you have downloaded a package off the web, and that it can't be sure of the source. Since your system doesn't know the source, it warns you that you should be confident in the package. It is obvious that a package from an unknown source could damage your system if it has been constructed in such a way as to cause damage. To install a package, one need root privileges which means the entire system could be severely crippled by a malevolent package, so you do have to be careful.

In the case of packages downloaded from Codeweavers (Crossover in particular), I personally never had any issue where the installation resulted in a damaged system. I would suggest to you that there is no reason to doubt what has been directly downloaded from Codeweavers.

p.s.: I also haven't come across a single virus/worm/malware while using Linux, ever, for well over a decade of use.

Thank you for the quick reply, J-P.

My desktop is running 64-bit Ubuntu, but I see that CrossOver is a 32-bit application. Will this cause a conflict of any kind?

Thanks again,

Roy

Actually, there is some initial 64bit support with the current version of Crossover, but you do need 32bit librairies for running 32bit windows software. And no, there won't any substantial issues with mixing 32 and 64 bit librairies.

By the way, there's a useful FAQ for Ubuntu here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/Ubuntu

Thanks, again.

Roy

Ran ESET on the download twice and no virus found...?

It would be very surprising otherwise. And even if there were, chances are it would be a windows virus, with little effect on a linux system...

J-P,

I've downloaded and extracted the program, but I can't find the instructions for installing the Windows software. Do they come with the download?

I selected the bottle and tried to install the Windows Scan Snap from its CD. After I clicked "Proceed", nothing happened.

Thanks,

Roy

Good question, I think not.

But the manual is online here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-linux/

Edit: Some stuff doesn't work out of the box and requires some fidling. With a debut log, some clues can be found as to what needs to be done, but not always. I don't know the software you're talking about, so if you would have a link to the publisher's website, that might be a start.

As for a debug log:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/debug

ScanSnap is a scanner manufactured by Fujitsu. I've connected it to my Ubuntu desktop and now need to install the software.

The website is here:

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/software/ix500.html

Roy

Uhh, we might have a problem here.

I imagine this is a USB scanner, and anything USB has very limited support in Crossover or Wine. Think of it this way, Crossover/Wine is for software, not hardware or its drivers. It's not unheard of that some USB stuff works, but I have never come across a successful attempt personally.

You can read some stuff here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/faq/usbtoserial

That being said, have you tried "simple scan" with your scanner? Unless you need something really fancy, it might do the trick and you can avoid the entire ugly business of hardware USB support in Crossover.

With light google-fu I found this, which might be of interest:

http://www.documentsnap.com/fujitsu-scansnap-in-linux/

p.s. Not that I feel personally responsible, but I will be offline for an undetermined amount of time with only sporadic wifi access for a while. I just thought it would be polite to let you know, so that you don't think I just blew you off or anything. Good luck with your scanner.

This message isn't a virus. you're using Gnome software center to install Crossover with? This is a bug and Ubuntu knows about it Codeweavers i believe it says on there site to use gdebi to install crossover with but gdebi is good to have around you can find it in the software center..

Yes, USB and wine still have problems, but I have recently been successfull with the Rocksmith 2014 USB audio cable and wine.

But, things may be much easier if you can find native Linux drivers. I really enjoy using the Samsung scanner Linux drivers with XSane. I was long a Epson Scanner Linux driver user before.

Good luck!

J-P Simard wrote:

Uhh, we might have a problem here.

I imagine this is a USB scanner, and anything USB has very limited
support in Crossover or Wine. Think of it this way, Crossover/Wine
is for software, not hardware or its drivers. It's not unheard of
that some USB stuff works, but I have never come across a successful
attempt personally.

You can read some stuff here:

https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/faq/usbtoserial

That being said, have you tried "simple scan" with your scanner?
Unless you need something really fancy, it might do the trick and
you can avoid the entire ugly business of hardware USB support in
Crossover.

With light google-fu I found this, which might be of interest:

http://www.documentsnap.com/fujitsu-scansnap-in-linux/

p.s. Not that I feel personally responsible, but I will be offline
for an undetermined amount of time with only sporadic wifi access
for a while. I just thought it would be polite to let you know, so
that you don't think I just blew you off or anything. Good luck with
your scanner.

On the issue of using USB items with Crossover, there is a patch set in the development repository of Wine for USB driver functionality, it is used by some fork projects to provide support for a few USB devices (namely early software-based WiFi adapters), but has not qualified as "reliable" for the Open Source build of Wine or the Crossover build of Wine.

If I recall correctly, the problem is that the patches interfered with many "soft" drivers that are used to help handle security and copy-protection functions of programs, as well as the cheat protection of games.

For USB scanners on Mac, you should check the various 3rd party drivers. Especially the Open Source ones.
For Linux, check the SANE project. It rolls almost all the Open Source drivers into one.

It is unfortunate that you cannot scan directly from programs in Wine.
The recommended solution is to scan to a file then utilize open-with to open it with your desired software in Wine.

I highly recommend that you try some of the Open Source software out there like Libre Office.

However, many people are stuck with Microsoft Office because of dependence on proprietary Microsoft Office plug-ins utilized by their employer. That is the whole reason Codeweavers works so hard to make Crossover work with Microsoft Office, and why it is considered a primary goal program.

p.s. Upon review, the SANE project has drivers for the vast majority of the SnapScan scanners. Currently WiFi access is not supported, but otherwise almost all of them run well according the SANE website.

1 to 14 of 14

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVUFjNHQyQkxXQXNlYVJIQyIsImdkcHIiOjB9