CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

A few questions I can't seem to find answers for...input appreciated

I couldn't find which is more optimal latest nVidia non-free drivers or free version for use with Crossover. I have the nVidia proprietary installed right now, I've had better luck with them in the past with WINE.

Are cross-ties used anymore? I see them still referenced here and there on this site but there's no option to actually use them, find them or download them. I play LOTRO so I thought a cross-tie might be available. I am assuming cross-ties are like a configuration script for Crossover.

As for NVidia, my experience is that proprietary drivers are much better the the free Nouveau. Numerous tests on phoronix.com essentially indicate as much. Although Nouveau has made some interesting progress, they still lag behind the proprietary stuff. I would also specify that SLI is horrible under Linux, at least, it was so around 2015. I have no reason to believe this has changed. I doubt that Nouveau has any support worth mentioning if the proprietary stuff is complete crap.

As for the tie files, yes they're still around. For instance, if you go to: https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/microsoft-office-2013
And then click on "install now" under Linux, you will download the file. And also, yes they are an install script for a given software.;

Thank you! I didn't realize that was how you use the tie files.

J-P Simard wrote:

I would also specify that SLI is horrible under Linux, at least, it
was so around 2015. I have no reason to believe this has changed. I
doubt that Nouveau has any support worth mentioning if the
proprietary stuff is complete crap.

Still is. But its actually not just Linux, Windows too. Its very iffy, purely dependent on what title, and if it has baked in optimizations for SLI or not. For my stab at SLI. nothing was worth it beyond having multi-monitor be a bit nicer. Most games were actually slower since they couldnt handle SLI well. When I asked around the answers were confirming that that was normal. When it was found that I am Linux only, they were impressed that gaming had gotten to parity for what was out there.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieDR6dUZtM3NxUnZzMkFSQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9