CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Outlook 2007 doesn't connect via HTTPS (Exchange Proxy)(Exchange2007)

Hey guys,
first of all, when I'm at work my Outlook works without a problem.
When I'm at home and try to connect to my exchange-server via HTTPS , I doesn't get a Connection! (With Windows XP it works)
My OS is Ubuntu 8.10 and the Version of Crossover is 7.1.0.
Is it possible to connect via HTTPS? I did the same settings like on Windows XP in my Outlook.
In the Connection-options I enabled the Exchange-Proxy to Connect to Microsoft Exchange via HTTP, and I added my Servers in the proxy-settings.

hope you can help me,

Kind Regards,

Sebastian

I've had a few issues around this I might be able to help with, but as a disclaimer, I don't use NetworkManager on Ubuntu, and I'm on 8.04, not 8.10, so this might also not apply to you...

1) my ppp connection comes up as "disconnected", but my wireless and wired connections work - Outlook can find the HTTPS/RPC server fine.

2) Outlook via Crossover is slower than Outlook via Windows XP at getting initial updates on my laptop (dual-core 1.8Ghz Intel w/ 3GB RAM). once it's connected and downloaded though, it's just as fast. You can test if you're "connected" or not by just entering the wrong password - a bad password when you're connected gives you the password prompt again right away, but if it can't find the server for real, then it sits waiting for a long time.

3) There are some issues in the support ticket system (and the forums) about https certificates being odd. I fixed this by importing the HTTPS certificate into Firefox first, then setting up Outlook over HTTPS.

4) I couldn't get Outlook to work at all if I installed IE6, but the certificate posters said they needed to install IE6 to import the certs. I don't know which way is right.

So, check a few things surrounding those points, and if it's still not working, let us know what you mean by 'not connected' - IE: it comes up and says you're "offline" or says it's trying to connect continuously, or something else?

Thanks for the quick answer.
So when I'm in my Office and connected with my wired connection, Outlook 2007 is connected to my server via TCP, it is also possible to get Outlook connected via HTTPS.(I tried some options, when I activate the option to connect via HTTPS first on a fast connection, it all works, I have to enter my password and then I'm connected) When I'm at home and try to connect to Exchange-Server (which is working at Windows XP so the problem is with ubuntu and outlook) I have to enter my password and the status of outlook is "trying to connect".That's it.Nothing more is happening.When I enter a bad password, the same is happening.I'm not asked again for my correct password. I have now imported the certificates into Firefox, but without any result.I haven't tried to install InternetExplorer6 because in the directory of my Office2007 installation is a folder named InternetExplorer with the iexplore.exe .
I tried a VPN-Connection from home to my Office and it worked. I can access all my servers. So I tried to connect Outlook via TCP with Exchange, but Outlook is just Offline, why does Outlook doesn't find the Server when I'm connected via VPN.

Kind Regards.

(Sorry for my bad english ;) )

When it sits at "trying to connect" how long have you let it try? I've found the initial connection over HTTPS is slower in Crossover than in my WinXP VM.

I am having a similar issue with Outlook 2007 connecting to an Exchange 2007 server.

After entering the setting for my account I receive an error the says "Your server or mailbox name cannot be resolved."

I have verified all the settings with our Central ITS and have tried both manual and automatic configuration. If I try the automatic setup I am get an error saying "an encrypted connection to your server was not available" and an option to try an unencrypted option. The unencrypted option also fails asking me to verify my email address. I do and click retry, then it forces me to do a manual configuration.

In manual configuration I first receive this error:

"The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

or

"The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

Eventually after several attempts I end up at the error above. "Your server or mailbox name cannot be resolved."

I thought it be the that Wine doesn't support WINS or NetBios so I added the appropriate servers to my /etc/hosts file, still I receive this error.

Any thoughts?

This will essentially keep me from opening my virtual machine ever, which I huge plus on system resources.

Thanks,
Daniel

Alright guys, I have a directly related question to this topic, and I'm hoping someone can help with my cluelessness :)
I just installed Outlook 2007 via CrossOver for the exact purpose of using HTTPS to connect to my corporate Exchange, but I'm struggling with just getting my exchange account setup. By that, I mean that when I go into TOOLS | OPTIONS | MAIL SETUP . . .in Outlook, I can't setup my exchange profile because Outlook is open. How did you guys initially setup your exchange connections in Outlook? I know it's probably really easy and I'm just missing the obvious. . .but I can't seem to figure it out!

Thanks,
Travis

I tried something like 10 minutes? So it's working with your system, that means for me that Office 2007 Enterprise is able to connect via HTTPs to Exchange-Server. hmm

Travis,

If you have already setup an account in Outlook, or just told it not to setup an account and started the program you will need to use the alternate method of adding an Exchange account.

It's pretty simple:

1. use the program/shortcut 'officesetup' (for me this is in $HOME/cxoffice/bin )
  2. scroll through the list and find your OUTLOOK program
  3. Click the 'Configure' button and a new window will open.
  4. Select the 'Control Panel' tab (and wait)
  5. You should see 4 options, the first should be 'Mail', select 'Mail' (you may have to double click) and wait for the window to open.
  6. Click the 'Email Accounts' button.

You should be able to add your exchange account from here.

Daniel

Daniel Carter wrote:

"The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft
Exchange server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected
to complete this action."

or

"The name cannot be resolved. The connection to Microsoft Exchange
server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to
complete this action."

I use Crossover to avoid Virtual Windows guests as well. What I'm seeing in my configuration, though, is that my ppp0 interface isn't detected by Outlook, only the eth0 and wlan0 interfaces, so I get the same errors on my cellular modem connection, but not on wired/wireless ethernet.

Are you using networkManager to connect, or ifplugd?

Currently I'm using network manager to connect. I didn't realize you were having success while attached to the eth0. The computer I am using this on is networked via ethernet (eth0).

Is there a way to open a command line in cxOffice to test the network connection?

Thanks.

I can confirm this bug. Outlook works fine without using HTTPS. With HTTPS you get stuck at "trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange" forever.

It is reproducible. Check the "Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP" outlook can't connect. Uncheck it, restart outlook, works fine. Ubuntu 8.10.

Anyone having this issue should submit a support ticket or email info@codeweavers.com and request to be added to bug 4211. This way we can get a better feel for the issue and request any necessary log files.

note: you will not be able to see the bug upon a search but you can request to be cc'd on the bug if you have an account (costs nothing) on our website

Thanks, just did. I can use a VPN for now and leave it in MAPI.

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNXVoa2ZOS2JUUEpDSlJtNSIsImdkcHIiOjB9