CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Noob confusion re how Crossover affects use of Wine...

I've been using Wine for a few Windows apps.... and I just got Crossover Linux Standard. Now I'm wondering if I should reinstall my current Wine apps with Crossover? I scanned the included User documentation, and the Support Wiki - but still don't understand how adding Crossover will/should affect my use of Wine. I think of Crosstalk as a 'better wine' - maybe thats wrong thinking and creating my confusion? Thanks in advance for any info.

Adding crossover will not affect how you use your current Wine installation. Crossover uses
it's own custom build of Wine and doesn't use/rely on an installation of Wine you may already
be using. Thinking of the custom Crossover build of Wine as being a 'better wine' is okay,
provided you count 'better' as being 'more consistent, less volatile'...ie; with Wine, an
application may work with the current release, but be broken by an upcoming Wine release. In
Crossover, once an application works it should keep working with new releases of Crossover,
mostly due to the custom build of Wine being used. (thinking that the Crossover build of Wine
is 'better' than the current Wine itself, is probably wrong - the current Wine code-base may
have extra features or capabilities that won't be part of the Crossover build of Wine, until
such things are incorporated without breaking applications already working in Crossover)

As to your first question, (whether or not to reinstall your current Wine apps with Crossover),
I'd say 'reinstall' is the wrong word to use here. That is, you can keep your current Wine apps
installed as they are (in Wine)...and then you might also try installing the same apps using
Crossover, and see if they work just as well. This will result in two installations of the
same app(s), separate and exclusive of each other. Then, you might decide to deinstall one or the
other app installations, dependent on what you discover using Crossover....ie; some apps might
only (yet..) work in Wine, whereas other apps work just as well in Crossover as they do in Wine.
Using this approach, your existing Wine installation of an app will not be damaged/altered in
any way - the only thing to note here, is that if you do decide to use Crossover instead of
Wine to run a particular app, and decide to uninstall the Wine installation of that app, you
might want to save any datafiles created by that app (using Wine), so these files can be copied
to the Crossover installation of the same app...if you get my meaning.

Thanks very much - that was the info I needed...
I would suggest including it in the User doc/html

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYUJOQ1poZ05mQUtRekFxSCIsImdkcHIiOjB9