CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Opening network files, mounted using Novell Client 2.0sp1, in Office 2000

Hello,

I have several Netware volumes mounted with Novell Client 2.0sp1 on my OpenSuSE 11.1 i386 machine. I installed MS Office 2000 using the default bottle (which is Win98, but I tried with an XP bottle as well and saw the exact same behavior) with Crossover Linux Professional 7.1.0. When I open any Office program and select "Open Files," then browse to those network mounts, the files and directories do not show. If I change the file type to "All Files," suddenly the files and directories show in the window... sometimes. Other times, the files and directories show for a second, then the slider bar at the bottom starts expanding, the file list starts scrolling to the right, and then they suddenly the files disappear and the file list appears blank. Those times that the directories and files do appear, if I click into one of the subdirectories, it again appears blank. Sometimes if I toggle the file types at this point, the files will suddenly appear. Sometimes it does the scrolling behavior again and then appear blank.

We are obviously using a Netware network, and our users need to use Accel. If they type the filesnames or directories manually they can open them just fine, but it's obviously incredibly frustrating to them to have to find or open files this way.

Thank you!

I don't know if that is the same issue, but often file open issues in MS Office occur if the filesystem doesn't support mmap. Office uses it to open files, so if it isn't supported by the filesystem Office can't open any files from there. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do to fix that.

Well, I don't know much about mmap (yet), but I can tell you that actually opening the file works just fine. I have had no issues with that, after I either type the filename in manually or toggle the file types to eventually get the filename to appear in the list, then click open. Browsing the files is the problem..

You'll be happy to know that I got around this issue by using Samba as a local file system proxy. I set up the Samba daemon on that same machine to have shares that use the path of the mounted Netware volumes, then restricted those shares to the localhost only. Once I mounted the shares locally using mount command, and browsed to them through MS Office, I was able to see all the files and directories without issue.

It's pretty darned slow though to enumerate the files... definitely takes a quarter to half second to enumerate each and every file and directory. But at least they all show, and I can navigate them correctly!

Eric

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiOVl6ZjhjdFlMS0NlemFhQiIsImdkcHIiOjB9