CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

hex2bin.exe

Hi,

I need to execute hex2bin.exe and bin2hex.exe, but it doesn't work.
It says ,,Warning: unprotecting memory to allow real-mode calls.
NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.''
And no output files are created. I need to kill the process ,,winevdm.exe''
afterwards.

I already added the file MSVCRT.DLL to the windows/system-directory,
but it didn't help.
It works under the ,,real'' WindowsXP, though.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Christiane

Is it really necessary to run the programs in CrossOver? Since these are DOS programs, you might consider using something along the lines of DOSBox to run them in Linux:

http://www.dosbox.com/

Hi Stewart,

I have also Virtual Box, with Windows XP and it didn't work here either.
But I think I found the problem: The programs hex2bin.exe and bin2hex.exe which
I had were from 1995 and they couldn't handle file and directory names with more
than 8 letters.
The original WindowsXP seems to have a workaround for this, but Crossover doesn't.
Now I found a newer version of hex2bin.exe and a source code version in C of
bin2hex.
These version don't accept the original options, though.
Still, they produce some output, and I have to wait and see whether it
runs on the new microprocessor which I get the next days.
But thanks for your help!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZTlWY3NLZ2s2ZzdrazlMTiIsImdkcHIiOjB9