CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Browser plugins

I need Windows Media Player plugin in my Linux browsers. CrossOver Linux claims that it is capable of doing that, but I need somebody to tell me how to do it😊. From what I've understood, the installation process should create some files or symlinks in ~/.mozilla/plugins and/or ~/.netscape/plugins, but it didn't happen. I can copy it manually, but I don't know from where. THE WMP itself works fine and it works well in the IE it installed.
Could anybody help me or point me the right direction?

I use Debian Sid - but it should be very similar to Ubuntu...

Regards,
Tadeas

Unfortunately, the Windows Media Player plugin for linux native web browsers is not currently compatible with Crossover. There are a few fundamental processes that are not being handled correctly by Crossover in order for the plugin to install correctly.

We realize that supporting Windows Media Player (which we do - version 9) implies that the browser plugin is also supported, and apologize for any misunderstanding. We've made a bug for this issue and hope to have it fixed soon.

Thank you for the reply.
I wasn't able to find the bug, could you please provide me with it's link - if it's available to the public? I would like to follow the progress and see when it is fixed.
By the way is there any sort of a workaround - some other windows player you support - to get windows media playing? I need specifically this video:
http://www.ct24.cz/vysilani/?streamtype=WM2
and others on the website (it's the Czech Television - a state TV).

Most of our bugs are not publicly available, as they often contain sensitive information from users that has been uploaded for testing.

In the meantime, I'm afraid we don't have a good Crossover-based workaround for this issue. Browser plugins are extremely tricky to get working properly in wine/Crossover, and require quite a bit of work from our developers to achieve functionality. If it's possible for you to download a file of any needed winmedia videos you should be able to play them with the Windows Media 9 stand-alone player as installed through Crossover.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiV25uSkJxVlhLZFBQU0FteCIsImdkcHIiOjB9