CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Microsoft Word 2002

I have MS Office XP installed successfully on Ubuntu.... running AOK. However, I have some new document templates that are on a CD and/or flash drive and I need to copy these to the Microsoft Templates folder as installed on Ubuntu. How do I do that? I can find the folder on Ubuntu.

Ummm...did you mean to say cannot instead of can? If you -can-
find the templates folder, just copy the files there. If on the
other hand you cannot find the templates folder, it should be ;

/home/<username>/.cxoffice/<bottle_name>/drive_c/Program Files/....

somewhere (my trailing dots indicate I don't know exactly where
the folder you're looking for is, but it will be somewhere under
the above path..I think..)

Yes I meant "cannot". The path I was attempting to use was:

/home/<username>/.cxoffice/win98/drive_c/windows/.... (I forget the remaining... it was long)

but this is a bit different from what you show. I got my path from the file menu when I did a save-as (template) in Word. In any case, I never could find any of those folders, so I know I'm making a simple mistake somewhere. Now my experience with Linux is weak compared to Windows experience ... however, years ago I lived on UNIX, but I've forgotten most of that.

I don't actually have/own the windows app you're talking about here -
that said, I hunted around for the old office'97 install cd I have
(which includes word) and installed that for a look.

Relative to the above, the path to the templates folder is;

/home/<username>/.cxoffice/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Templates

I imagine "microsoft office" might instead be "microsoft word" in your case.

If you can't find these file/dir locations, perhaps the system is hiding
dot_files from you...ie; .cxoffice ...if this is the case, in your file
browser, select the 'view' menu item and ensure 'show hidden files' is ticked.

edit: The above path is probably incorrect however - templates should be saved
relative to the user, not relative to the program install_dir. From what I can
see here, you shouldn't need worry about being windows-relative here - you should
be able to copy the templates to your home_dir and open them from within word...

Yes - for templates not included with the MS Office install, just locate and open them as regular documents from the "open file" dialogue in word. For reference, The "My Computer" button in the open file browser will show you the Z: (your top level "/" directory), the C: (the "drive_c" directory within the bottle) and the Y: (your /home/user directory on your machine).

Be sure to "save as" the first time you save a modified template, otherwise you'll overwrite the changes to the primary template file.

FYI .......

Got the document templates copied from a flash drive and installed in the proper Microsoft templates folder. Now when we start a new document and click on "New", the new templates are displayed on the menu along with other available word templates. All is working AOK.

Here is a typical copy command/path I ended up using.

cp '/media/LEXAR MEDIA/Templates for Word 2000-2002/Outline Template.dot'
'/home/papapete/.cxoffice/win98/drive_c/windows/profiles/crossover/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates'

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieHZ5eGF6UDlYSlFhZkNMNSIsImdkcHIiOjB9