CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Ubuntu 8.04

Just upgraded to Hardy. I have crossover 6.1 and use(d) it for Quicken (2006). It stopped working though. The closet I can get to making it work is a winxp bottle however online updates do not work (they did). Quicken 2007 had the same results, functional without online updates however the screen refreshes were painful. Just a heads up. Tried the 6.2 demo with the same results.

Yes, it's a new security feature in 8.04.

We've worked around it for version 7, but in the meantime, the
following should get you around it:
http://wiki.winehq.org/PreloaderPageZeroProblem

Cheers,

Jeremy

I'm getting a different problem ... I upgraded my laptop to ubunutu 8.04, but
KEPT the current kernel (I did recompile it, to further the confusion).
When I try to do any thing with crossover, including reinstall it I typically get:
reinstall
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0xb7d5e283 (t
hread 000f), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0xb
7d5e283).
Register dump:
CS:0073 SS:007b DS:007b ES:007b FS:0033 GS:003b
EIP:b7d5e283 ESP:0034ee6c EBP:0034ee88 EFLAGS:00010246( - 00 -RIZP1)
EAX:00000000 EBX:b7e36ff4 ECX:00000000 EDX:00000001
ESI:7c050033 EDI:00000000
Stack dump:
Note that apparently my kernel 2.6.23.16 (otherwise a vanilla kernel,but a custom build
doesn't even have that key ie:
sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0
error: "vm.mmap_min_addr" is an unknown key
tmr@dell:~$
current cvs versions of wine do appear to work okay.

Brilliant!! That did it. I'm back in business.

Thank you so much

Larry

I also have problems with Ubuntu 8.04 and IE6 with Crossover 6. Cannot get IE6 to launch under any conditions.

Okay - I rebuild 2.6.24.3 enabling CONFIG_SECURITY=y so that
I could set sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0 and it worked.

Have you tried the tip above?

Would this issue also impact MS Excel 2003? I can't do anything in it anymore since I upgraded. I get a VB error and it shuts down are restarts the application.

I just upgraded to Hardy, crossover 6.2, I can't get anything to even start -- IE or QuickBooks Basic. Both ran fine before the upgrade. Unlike the others I'm not seeing any error messages -- click the icon, looks like something might happen, and then nothing. I tried the Tip indicated but no joy.

what should I try next?

-Jeff

I had the same issue using Pro 6.2 and the sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0 workaround would only stop the preloader error. IE6 still did not appear. I installed cxgames using the free upgrade (thanks guys!) and copied the bottles into that. Updated the shortcuts and things run again.

I guess an update to the wine in cxgames has yet to make it into cxoffice.

Update:
Spoke too soon - crashes faster than Nigel Mansell. Will investigate further and report back. Hmmm, seems that the sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0 does work, or at least it does now as my original copy in cxoffice opens up and stays working yet the cxgames one locks up within 2 minutes.

On the Wine Wiki, it says "This fixes the problem until the next time you reboot. (It also reduces security slightly.)" Anyone know exactly what reduction in security this does?

To get the error messages, copy the command from the link in your menu and paste it into a terminal.

Don't mean to be piling on but I'm having the same sorts of problems. MSAccess just dies. Word reports an error: "Required registry information is missing and this application cannot run. Please rerun setup to correct this problem," then dies. IE just won't start at all.

walter

I cleaned up the memmap topic from winehq and added another workaround for Ubuntu 8.04 involving network connectivity. Check out http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/FAQ/Ubuntu804_KnownBugs frequently to see our latest findings and workarounds for 8.04.

I have just upgraded to Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 and Crossover Pro and had problems with Office 2000 not working. I applied the fix to /etc/sysctl.conf mentioned in a previous post and all seems to work well at the moment.
Thanks
Denis

I have Ubuntu 8.04, and I am running crossover 6.1. I am trying to configure my quicken 2007, but it can't find the evil empires dreaded internet explore. I tried the suggestion in this thread, but only helped fix IE. Quicken comes up, loads my files, but can't go out for updates with out registering it. Any Ideas?

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTWN4UlhQRXFhcFFMMnR2VCIsImdkcHIiOjB9