CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Notepad with Windows Unicode files

I didn't see any reference to this in the FAQ, Wiki, or ticket system, so I hope a kind reader of this message can help...

When I open any of a set of Windows Unicode files in Notepad under Crossover Office 6.1.0 (AMD64, Debian), Notepad displays the file fine but crashes as soon as I make an editing keystroke (e.g., deleting a character). I can edit such files without a problem in Word (though that doesn't suffice for the work I need to do).

From stderr:
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x0048fffe at address 0x7ead22a6 (thread 0025), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x0048fffe in 32-bit code (0x7ead22a6).
[register dump etc. not reproduced here]

Please note, we do not have record of anything like this happening. There are several things that may contribute to this. The latest version of CrossOver is 7.0.2, so I am not sure if perhaps your version of Linux perhaps doesn't agree (maybe you did an update on Debian but not on CrossOver?) or that something is corrupt with the version you have.

Do you have a native text editor that you could use for your purposes?

I've not changed kernel or upgraded any libraries etc. that should
affect wine etc. I've some sample stack dump information etc. that I
can send to anyone who might find it of use (if my submission rights
for support tickets hadn't expired, I'd have included those there).
As to other solutions, from a quick Web search, it seems that even
simply Unicode Windows support doesn't seem to be available in this
distribution for emacs et al. (I'd like to be able to view and edit
the files in a human-readable way). Meanwhile, MS Word (in the
incarnations I've checked) alters the files as it sees fit (adding
line breaks etc., which is no good) if I edit the files there and save
as 'Unicode text'. Suggestions are surely welcome.
In Notepad, I can save the files under a new name fine if I make no
changes; the problem occurs (with all bottles, with
system32/notepad.exe and notepad.exe), as soon as I make a keystroke
that would alter the file in memory.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTlI4V0U2SlJjcHdCUzRtRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9