CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover Linux pro/Office 2003 - kills xserver

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a dying/restarting xserver while tyring to install Office 2003 under crossover Office. I have one machine running RHEL 4.0 update 5 that is experiencing this. This use is the only user using KDE...all others use Gnome (incase this makes a difference).

When it first happened I had done the following:

1.  Installed Crossover Linux Pro 7.02 then exited the installation app  
2.  Went through the KDE menu to "Install Windows Software", selecting Office 2003 and all defaults from that point on.  
3.  I get a pop-up that says that it's creating the Windows 2000 Bottle, and shortly after that...  
4.  Screen goes black and the login screen is displayed (xserver restarted)

I logged back in. At this point I thought it might have been an issue with the CD drive not being mounted prior to install...which it wasn't...not sure why it didn't automount (the fstab file on this machine is identical to the other machines that work), so I mounted it (mount /media/cdrecorder). Actually I don't think the installation process ever pings the CD drive and that the xserver is dying during the bottle creation.

After that I accessed "Install Windows Software" again, selected Office 2003, selected the existing Windows 2000 bottle and continued with the installation. This time the xserver did not restart, and the Office 2003 installion went to completion. Now the problem was none of the office application links were placed in the cxoffice/bin directory. With that path in my path environment variable, typing outlook or winword, or any of the other commands did not work. It appeared that, even though the installation succeeded, it really hadn't (or maybe it just didn't complete the links to the bottle).

Anyway, I decided to start over from scratch...I deleted the cxoffice directory and the .cxoffice directory and performed step 1-3 above again which resulted in step 4 again. A third time with the same results.

Could something about the bottle creation process be killing xserver? I can log right back in and continue with the installation in that bottle, but none of the apps are available. Maybe the bottle creation was incomplete. I'm not sure what's going on, but was hoping someone else has encountered this issue.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Steve

After rebooting the machine (not sure why that made a difference if any), I did steps 1-3 again which, as expected, resulted in step 4 again. I immediately logged in again, mounted the CD drive, went to "Install Windows Software" and proceded through the installation. When all was finished, the bottle looked complete and all commands worked. Strange...flakey. I'm still wondering why the xserver restarts itself installing Office 2003 into a fresh installation of Crossover (new cxoffice and .cxoffice directories and a new win2000 bottle).

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

I've had my xserver crash at random times during installation, as well, though rarely. I use Ubuntu 8.04 with one KDE account, the rest in GNOME, but I've never been able to get this behavior consistently. I tried installing a clean copy of crossover, and then a clean copy of O2k3, as in your previous post, but my xserver would not crash (i tried this twice in a row). I think it's possible that your install of Crossover itself may be the issue. I'd recommend downloading a totally new copy and installing that clean.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ1hWcXZ5S1RIOUIyYU5NeSIsImdkcHIiOjB9