CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Feature suggestion

Hi,

I have a suggestion for Crossover. I would like to be able to integrate a modified Wine release into my Crossover installation. It would be slick if there were a built-in way to do that in Crossover. Maybe a makefile that could grab the source from git and add local patches, build then properly install the binaries into the Crossover root. This is the reason I use Wine instead of Crossover. I have patches for Wine that won't be accepted into upstream, so my only choice is to use them with Wine. I like all of the supporting utilities of Crossover, but require the flexibility of Wine.

Thanks!

We have a few requests for that, growing when there's some new feature in Wine that isn't yet in CrossOver. Unfortunately, simply dumping a new Wine into CrossOver isn't too easy. There are a number of modifications in CrossOver, mostly hacks to either make a popular app run better, or to work around bugs in the host software(e.g. Mac 3D drivers). If you replace Wine, you loose those hacks, and chances are that your app doesn't work any longer.

So we'd need some way to automatically rebase the hacks on an existing Wine code - but we'd love that too, this work, which we have to do manually, makes up a big part of the release cycle.

To address that, we've decided to release unsupported builds at least for Cxgames, to shorten the times between releases for those who prefer new features over tested code. I guess we should release some more of those builds...

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoia0s5dUpMOVQzR1dTTXZOVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9