CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CrossOver = open source software?

Hello

I have been a long-time user of CrossOver on Linux since 2002.

I just read yesterday's press release about your Not-Free special day - which I thought was a lovely idea. I missed out on last year's mayhem - wish I had known about it 😊

I notice the line in your press release that states: "CrossOver is a highly-celebrated open source software". Is that actually correct? Sure, WINE is open source but the elements that provide CrossOver functionality used to be closed-source in order to finance the wider open source development.

Is this no longer the case. Is CrossOver totally open source now?

Thx

L

Hi,

Perhaps this page tells the tale for you...see;

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/source/

Cheers!

Well, that page provides the source for the versions of Wine supplied within the CrossOver product (as required by the GPL?). So it certainly tells the tale for me on the remaining functionality.

I have absolutely NO wish to belittle the work done at Codeweavers and have made a point of purchasing support extensions or new licenses in the years when I have had the cash to do so. I just got excited at the thought that the WHOLE KABOODLE had gone GPL/Open Source while I wasn't looking.

I think the press release was a little ambiguous on this point, though.

L

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoicWRnZk5SWDVrWGFaTmNadyIsImdkcHIiOjB9