CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Trying to install "The Dude" needs to run as root.

Is there a way to run a windows application as root. Reason: I am trying to run "The Dude" MikroTik's network management tool. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dude_Linux_Installation#Running_Dude_on_Linux Gives instructions for running it under Wine and states that it needs to be run as root.

Gee...that reminds me of an old snmp tool called 'scotty' which I
used to use in linux...(years ago when I was a sysadmin/BOFH ;)

What you ask though, should be possible in theory...ie; if it were
me, I'd be ensuring my normal username was in the sudoers file, and
then I would edit the menu/desktop_icon link command line to invoke
sudo before calling the command the crossover installation created
when installing Dude. (this is pretty much the same as described on
the URL you post wrt gksudo) The only wrinkle with that, might be that
root can't open the window in the user's display (may depend on distro
being used), in which case you'd also need add (what is considered X
security risk) 'xhost + localhost'....something of this nature.

If you really get stuck, shoot an email back and I'll try it here
to discover what the best way to go about it is...(be sure to mention
the linux distro you are using, and what window-manager you're using)

Cheers!

Fine but I am not sure how to change the menu for the windows application.
I have read about kmenu but assume thats not for gnome which is what I assume
I am using ( Standard ubuntu 9.04).

Thanks Keith

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoibWZ0N1JUN05ucmt2QjdzSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9