CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

shared network files

I'm using ubuntu 8.04 with msoffice 2003.

How can we open/save files on a windows shared network drive from ms-office?

I need to open a .pst file for my outlook 2003, and open/save word files on the windows network server - but I can't find a link to the network. When I click on 'my network places', it crashes the program.

I can access the windows share from my ubuntu desktop via places-network, but I can't do so from crossover windows apps.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for such questions, but if so, please provide a solution to lawmanuk@gmail.com

thanks

Avoid the 'network places' link, and use the Y: and Z: drives to navigate the file system.

If you use Z:, you should be able to go to any directory you have mounted
in your Linux system. Then if you mount your shared network to someplace
on your system, you should be able to get to it via z:.

Cheers,

Jeremy

thanks for the reply.

i'm a linux newbie and can't figure out a way to mount the network drive.

i can access the 'network' in ubuntu from places-network. then i can add a bookmark (link) to the networked drive in nautilus and on the desktop.

However, i can't find a way to mount the network link so it shows under /mnt or /media, which i could then access from z:

any advice would be great. thanks.

I'm afraid I'm not an Ubuntu/gui expert; I know how to mount from the command line,
but I suspect that won't help you. You need to find a way to mount that file system
which will make it usable to all Linux applications. Otherwise, you're going to find
it's only Nautilus that can use it. May be best to ask for help in Ubuntu forums somewhere
(or try right clicking and see if any options present themselves; that's what I'd try).

Cheers,

Jeremy

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieFI0cFVISnBLUmhzOWVLViIsImdkcHIiOjB9