CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Ubuntu 8.04 - problem with CXOffice 6.0.1 and right-click menu items

Hi,

I'm running ubuntu 8.04 on my inspiron 8600. All is working really well. I have had a few problems with CrossOver office 6.0.1 though.

I have tried installing CX office with all of the available methods but to no avail - it seems that I'm not the only one according to all the posts. During the CX installation, I installed MSOffice 2003 when asked to. It fails and does not create the necessary icons in the applications menu. Thus, I have uninstalled it all (CX and MSOffice). However, CX did add right-click menu items for all MSOffice document types but did not remove these when it was uninstalled. Hence, I have menu options that do not point to the correct applications.

To try and get round things, I have installed wine and then MSOffice which went off without a hitch.

What I would like to do is to get the right-click menu items opening the documents with the correct application or at least remove them so that they open with openoffice.

Does anyone know how I can do this?

Cheers

George

Well since Crossover Office 6.2 has some show-stopping bugs with Ubuntu 8.04 (http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/FAQ/Ubuntu804_KnownBugs) I'd imagine Crossover Office 6.0.1 is probably worse off. Your mileage may be better if you try Crossover 6.2.

You can try a "(path to)/cxoffice/bin/cxassoc --sync" to try and clear the file associations. You should also be able to right-click on an Office file, like a Word .doc, pick Open With... and then choose the app you want to open the .doc and that setting should stick then to all .doc files on your machine.

Hi - thanks for the post. I've atlest got the files opening.

As CXOffice is able to add items to the menu, please could you tell me how to remove them (considering I don't have CXoffice installed).

Many thanks.

George

You should be able to use the Main Menu control panel to edit menus.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiZ0VLU0ZjTkpUN2dhVE03RSIsImdkcHIiOjB9