CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Kubuntu install - problem

Please bear with me....I am a newbie to Linux.

OK, I have downloaded Crossover to Kubuntu...but I cannot see it anywhere...how do I set it up to start downloading iTunes?

Hi PJ,

I was once a newbie too. Just for the fun of it I am installing kubuntu on a VM as I write. While I'm waiting...

Did you use Firefox or Konqueror or something else to download Crossover? What is your download directory set to? Likely /home/username/Desktop or /home/username/

If you don't see it on your Desktop try browsing in your file manager (Konqueror or Dolphin) to /home/username/ (replacing username with whatever your username is). Install crossover by clicking on it. When it is finished installing it will ask you if you want to install software.

More detailed comments/thoughts will follow once I've installed iTunes on Crossover 7.0 on Kubuntu.

OK,

I installed iTunes 7.6 on Crossover Office 7.0 on Kubuntu 8.04 w/ KDE 4.0. These are the steps I took:

1) Downloaded sh ./install-crossover-pro-7.0.0.sh from Codeweavers.com using Konqueror and chose to save on my Desktop
2) Download iTunes 7.6 for Windows XP from apple.com and saved to my Desktop
3) Opened Konsole
a. at the prompt I typed the following and hit enter: cd /home/username/Desktop (replace username with your username)
b. at the prompt I typed the following and hit enter: sh ./install-crossover-pro-7.0.0.sh
4) Agreed to terms of licence
5) Installed to default directory /home/username/cxoffice (replace username with your username)
6) Clicked install windows software
7) Clicked install unsupported software and then clicked Next
8) Read "Before installing unsupported software" notice and clicked Next
9) Clicked "Other installer file", browsed to /home/username/Desktop/iTunesSetup.exe (replace username with your username), and clicked Next
10) Chose install to new bottle, changed name of bottle from unsupported to iTunes, left create from template type as winxp and clicked Next
11) Waited about 1 minute and the iTunes installer came up
12) Clicked next on the iTunes installer
13) Agreed to terms of service and clicked next
14) Clicked install
15) Clicked no when asked to turn on Autorun
16) I waited about 10 minutes, the installer hung on computing space requirement. I responded by clicking the close button on installer, which caused the installer to prompt me to make sure I wanted to cancel installer. I clicked 'no' and the installation proceeded quickly from that point
17) Clicked finish
18) Crossover asked if I want to install more software or view installed associations, to which I chose view installed associations and click next
19) Clicked finish, which
20) Clicked iTunes in Kmenu.
21) Clicked yes to garbled license agreement
22) Clicked through some iTunes setup options, gets warned that CD and DVD tools haven't been properly installed, ignores warning and continued
23) Visited iTunes store but was too cheap to purchase music

Will play with it some more and visit the apps db.

Oh and another tip, it froze once and went gray for about 5 minutes during the install. I grabbed the top edge and shook a bit. Likely didn't do anything, other then give me the satisfaction of thinking I was doing something.

Ok PJ,

I can listen to music on iTunes! Follow my directions above and you will be able to too. That was fun. I haven't tried everything, but it appears to mostly work. I don't think ripping from CDs/DVDs is going to work though, given the error message. But that's ok, plenty of Linux programs out there for that.

:)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWXBBZ3NueUFISkhBdXd3WCIsImdkcHIiOjB9