CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

64 bit version for Fedora 11?

Not sure this is the right place for this question. If not, please let me know where to ask...

I have Crossover Pro v7.x which I was using on an old Linux machine. I just built a new Quad core I7 64 bit system running Fedora 11. Works great :)
But the Crossover package won't install - it tells me:

This installation does not support unknown on Linux / x86

This product requires Linux running on a pentium-compatible (i386) system.

Can I exchange my current version for a 64 bit version? Do I need to purchase a new version (I see that 8.0 is out - I could upgrade, although I'm not sure I need to except for the OS problem...

Thanks

nbc

This might be related to a lack of needed 32bit libraries. What
is working for most people, is installing Wine (through your
system's package manager) -- that will pull in all the 32bit
libraries for Wine, which are the same libs crossover needs.
After installing Wine, try installing crossover again...

Elsewise, login to your codeweaver's account, download the
crossover package you want to try (latest, 64bit if needed).
You can grab the demo version (which is the full version) and
activate it with your existing codeweavers username and
password credentials.

Note that our "64 bit" build is just a 32 bit build that knows about the 32 bit compatibility packages, so it is easier to install. CrossOver will need 32 bit compatibility for a long time to come, because a pure 64 bit CrossOver could only run Win64 programs. And there aren't that many of them yet.

Unfortunately it is not possible to run a 32 bit .exe with 64 bit libraries. I know some distros stop providing 32 bit libs, which is an utterly bad decision in my view. People will need 32 bit libs as long as they want to run 32 bit Windows apps. Almost all Linux apps work on 64 bit native by now, but on Windows this will take a LONG time, and there are many unmaintained, but still used apps that probably will never see a 64 bit build(e.g. old games like Age of Empires 2)

Our rpm installer didn't play well with 64-bit distros on Crossover 7.x (in that it didn't actively hunt for and install missing 32-bit libs), but this was fixed for Crossover 8.0. The new 8.0 version of Crossover should install relatively seamlessly on your 64-bit Fedora machine. Login to your account and head to they My Downloads section, and grab the 8.0.rpm installer. Make sure that any pre-existing copies of Crossover are gone from your system.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYk5lTnlLaE5aR012aGROZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9