CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Games demanding the CD..

As far as I have understood, there is a problem with getting games to accept original CD's mounted in the CD-ROM.
Many games demand to check if the CD is in the CD-drive, so I guess the only way to get around the problem is to crack these games?

I want to know; is there no way I can just use the original CD's and somehow get the game to notice them?
Is crossover-games going to take on this problem in the future?

Having to crack your games to be able to play them is'nt really how it should be done, if you ask me.

If you search this site with a string like 'cd copy protection', you'll
get most of the answers to your questions there. Getting crossover to
deal with disc based copy-protection schemes, seems to be on the 'to do'
list, however I've no idea when/if this will happen. If the disc (cd or
dvd) has such copy protection on it, then no....at present, there's no
way to get the game to 'notice' the disc is indeed in the drive.

I agree with you, in that patching (or 'cracking') a game to get it to
work under crossover isn't ideal nor the way things should be done ; that
said, being unable to copy/preserve your original game media because of
such copy protection schemes, is also something I believe is not the
way things should be done...(even if you run windows)...

In the end, my want to run an app on the OS/platform of my choice using
crossover, far outweighs my regard for copy-protection systems put in
place to stop people 'cracking' games titles and illegally distributing
same -- after all, that's not what I (or anyone else here) is doing....

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaEJtVnZBdkZUM0daa1huSyIsImdkcHIiOjB9