CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Alt+tabbing/focus problem

Hi, I am having a problem alt+tabbing with MS Office using Crossfire. I have it all working just fine, but if I alt+tab out of a Word document for example, and then alt+tab back, nothing works-- I wind up having to click inside the Word window (anywhere) to bring back the focus. This does not occur with any other programs.

Thanks for any help

In Word, if you just tap the Alt key, it puts keyboard focus on the menu. You can then use keys to navigate the menu and make a selection. Tapping Alt again, puts keyboard focus back to the window content area.

What's happening is that Alt+tabbing to switch between windows leaves Word thinking that Alt was just tapped. It sees the press of the Alt key, but since you then switch away using Tab, it doesn't see the release of the Alt key -- some other application has focus for that event. Then, when you Alt+tab back, Word doesn't see the Alt keypress (again, keyboard focus is on another app at that point) but it does see the release. So, to Word, it looks like a since press-release pair. Granted, there was a long time between the press and the release, but that doesn't matter to a computer.

Anyway, that's the explanation. Still, it probably shouldn't happen that way. Seems like it's a bug.

In addition to using a click as a workaround, you can also just tap Alt. Word will treat that as the second tap and put focus back into the content area.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVkJ2cWZROFpZeE5nWW16UCIsImdkcHIiOjB9