CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CX 16 in side-by-side install - Office 2013 won't work

It seems that when CX 16 is installed as a side-by-side install (with an old version of CX in /opt/cxoffice), Office 2013 won't run.

Note: I've successfully installed/tested Office 2013 in fresh CX 16 install on Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 14.04. "Final" Target machine is Ubuntu 14.04 running Office 97 with CX 9. So I want to install Office 2013 with CX 16 on the same machine.

I did the following on Ubuntu 14.04 "test" machine:

Install crossover-16 from deb (installs into /opt/cxoffice)
/opt/cxoffice/bin/cxrepackage --deb --productid cx16 --release 1
Install new cx16 deb (installs into /opt/cx16)
/opt/cx16/bin/crossover -> install Office 2013, convert bottle to deb package (at this point Office 2013 runs fine in new /opt/cx16 location.. but /opt/cxoffice is same version so no conflicts)
Copy new cx16 deb + new bottle deb to target machine

On ubuntu 14.04 target machine:
Install new cx16 deb (into /opt/cx16), and install new bottle deb
/opt/cx16/bin/crossover -> Bottle is there, seems ok... when I try to launch Excel, it takes soooo long and sometimes I get a black screen, and other times core dumps.

The only thing I think it could be is some remaining dependency on /opt/cxoffice, and due to the old version there, it craps out.

have you poked through this support article:
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq/cxofficemultiplecopies
" Install and use multiple versions of Crossover on Linux."

I was actually using the method described here:
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/crossover-linux/sidebyside

Where is states "It is also possible to set up side-by-side configurations using Debian or RPM packages. But to do so you must first repackage CrossOver to change the package name and the product id."

I've tried the CX_PRODUCT_ID thing in the past with no great luck - I thought this newer method might prove better. Although I may try that again, just to see.

Thanks

Unfortunately using the .bin with a new CX_PRODUCT_ID results in the same thing.. Office 2013 installs, but screen is black and super slow.

For some reason.. it only seems to work in standard /opt/cxoffice install.

I've installed Office 2013 several times with an install of CrossOver created using our .bin installer (which places things in ~/cxoffice rather than in /opt). It works fine here.

Do you ever see a working setup on Ubuntu 14.04, or is it only working on your 16.x boxes? That's a major variable. I wouldn't be surprised if that caused a difference. (Sorry, I can't tell from the above whether it ever works on 14.)

Edit: I re-read your first post, noting that it does work for you on 14.04. Hmm...

The only key difference that I can see is that I have an old CX 9 install in /opt/cxoffice ... otherwise on another 14.04 machine, that doesn't have CX 9, I have no problems with side-by-side installs (all of the same version of crossover though).

Ok, tried this.. I moved /opt/cxoffice to /opt/cxoffice.save and re-installed CX 16 to the default /opt/cxoffice.. removed my ~/.cxoffice dir as well.

Office 2013 still doesn't work (super slow + black screen).. so its not that..

I noticed a FAQ related to Nomachine NX, which we do use on this particular server.. could this be the issue? the fix proposed for SUSE 11 did not work for me.

So it seems Ubuntu 14.04 + Nomachine Terminal Server 5.1.54 + Crossover 16 + Office 2013 is the combo that doesn't work.. and its nothing to do with side-by-side install.

Have you tried running eg. Word 2013 with logging enabled and look for missing packages in the log file?

I too had a problem with Office 2013 apps being all black when started. After installing libXcomposite 32-lib on my Manjaro x86_64 (unsupported OS, i know) Word now works. I also installed libXcomposite 32-bit just to be sure.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNlhzZU1NUGJ1eWNDWFRKcSIsImdkcHIiOjB9