CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Office 365 requires windows 10 bottle

For a fresh install of my laptop I downloaded a new installer for Office 365 from my MS environment.
When installing through crossover, the installer quits with the message that Windows 7 is not supported anymore and that I should install Windows 10. Installing Office into a self created windows 10 bottle results in a black install screen that hangs at 58%.

Any thoughts?

Hi there,

What type of account are you using, and what installer? Did the installer come from office.com, or somewhere else?

We are aware that Office 365 does not currently run in a Win10 bottle, and we have plans to enable it in the future, but it was our understanding based on Microsoft's online documentation that Office 365 should still run in Win7 environments until 2023 (although updates will be limited).

Thanks,
Meredith

Hi,

I have a MS personal (home) account and I downloaded the offline installer 32bits, Dutch: O365HomePremRetail.img

Regards, Steven

I just ran in to the same problem, as I reinstall my OS and am therefore reinstalling Crossover & Office 365. The 32 bit installer stops with a message that only Window 10 is supported. A Windows 10 bottle does not help: this message no longer appears, but the install fails without any messages, just a black rectangle rendered where the Microsoft installer updates should be.

This is a standard English install from a 5-licence home Office 365 subscription. Microsoft seems to now refer to this is Microsoft 365 Apps. They actually say it is no longer supported on Win 7 since Jan 2020 but to assist transition, security updates will continue until Jan 2023 for existing installs. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/endofsupport/windows-7-support

Hi there,

Steven, do you see the same issue with the online .exe installer? I just downloaded a new one today with a home account, and I saw no errors on install.

Tim, I'd be curious to know if you're using the online or offline installer as well.

Thanks!
Meredith

Hi, I have only ever used the offline installer. I will update with an attempt to use the online installer

Hi Meredith, the online installer worked for me, it was straightforward. Activation worked too. Thank you for your suggestion.

I stopped using the online installer some time ago because it would always get stuck at about 58%. Tried it again last night and now the online installer works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Grtz Steven

Thank you both so much for following up! I'm very glad to hear that the online installer is working, but it is definitely concerning the offline installer is problematic :/ I will make a note of that in our bug tracking our work to allow Office 365 to install in a Win10 bottle.

Thanks again!
Meredith

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTHRZYXdxU2VzUUJWa1RtTSIsImdkcHIiOjB9