CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Can't install Crossover

Hi Gang:

I'm a newbie who wants to run Crossover with Ubuntu 8.04.

When I try to install, I get"Could not open the file /home/myname/Desktop…ossover-standard-7.0.0.sh." And "gedit has not been able to detect the character coding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character coding from the menu and try again."

Is there a trick to this?

Regards,

Frank

Yep, the installer doesn't have its executable bit set. Open a terminal and do:

chmod 755 (path to installer.sh file)

and return. Then drag&drop the .sh file back onto a terminal and hit enter and the installer will run.

I am having this problem and did what you said to do but, I get this response: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' So what am I doing wrong.

Thanks

Tried again using a [ instead of a ( and got no such file or directory. Help.

Thanks

Do not use any brackets, literally type:

chmod 755

and then drag the icon for CrossOver into your terminal (which will populate your terminal with a path to the installer). Press enter.

It will look like the terminal does nothing (you should not get an error message). Then, drag the icon back into the terminal to populate it again with a path to the installer (without the chmod command this time) and press enter. CrossOver should begin to install.

If you have further issues, please file a support ticket.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQ2ZRcFV5S3ZYcWdwSmh2RiIsImdkcHIiOjB9