CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Ubuntu 8.10 x64 and Office 2007

Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 x64. The installation of the general 'all distros' package went fine, as did installation of the Office 2007 trial download. I configured Outlook and was quite surprised at the lack of pain.

Problems started after I had outlook up and running. Any attempt to resize the window displaying Outlook fails pretty completely. The window only resize smaller, never larger. It doesn't matter how I move the mouse after grabbing the edge, the window only goes smaller. Even after letting go of the mouse button the window will continue resizing to be smaller until it flickers and seems reset, but at the smaller dimensions. Now trying to re-enter the window with the mouse will either resize the window further, (as if I still had the button held down on the original resize attempt), or enter the window normally. If the mouse enters the window normally, attempts to restore the windows original size just make the problem worse and worse, eventually leading to the window being completely unusable.

Has anyone seen extensive weirdness like this when running crossover on 64-bit systems? I've read every 64-bit post in that I could find in the forum but none seem to match closely enough to be applicable. 

TIA,
--jesse

We've seen extensive weirdness with Ubuntu 8.10, not on 64-bit systems. We're not sure what it is yet, maybe kernel bugs, maybe using all the open source video drivers by default, but I really don't think this is limited to Crossover.

Yeah, I have different posts elsewhere regarding GUI stability in 8.10 64-bit. :( I was hoping the unique weirdness I see with Crossover had been addressed here, but I completely agree that it could just be 64-bit Ubuntu. Not going to stop me though, I may just have to find a different use for that RAM and downgrade to 32-bit, :). This is the first time it's been really feasible to work completely free of windows.

thanks,
--jesse

Update:
The weirdness I'm seeing appears to be directly related to whether Xinerama is enabled or not. On systems using Nvidia's 'TwinView' I get perfect results when using Office on x64 and x86 systems. As soon as I enable Xinerama however, I lose that stability and window resizes become highly erratic. Attempts to resize usually crash WindowMaker. Gnome responds slightly better, but not I consider myself lucky if I'm able to resize the windows to something I want.

.xsession-errors contains these messages when I try to resize:
"Window manager warning: Received a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE message for 0x3c001a1 (RE: Spiren); these messages lack timestamps and therefore suck."

/var/log/Xorg.0.log contains hundreds of these (not something I've seen here before):
[mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
[mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.

Are there any debug settings I can enable, or additional logs I can view, to get more information about what is wrong?

thanks,
--jesse

You may need to update your graphics driver... there is a known issue in Ubuntu 8.10:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122695

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoidEZUZFFkQVV3U3hXNkF3ZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9