CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

EEE 901

Just for the record, Crossover Pro 7.0.2 installs perfectly (in single user mode) on the new 901 Linux EEE, which runs a customised version of Xandros. No problems installing MS office or IE etc. either and they all run fine.

Hi....I've just sold my 701 after receiving the 901 with linux . I had installed MS office on the 701 in Crossover Linux Standard 7.0.2 no problem and tried to do the same on my 901. Unfortunately it isn't as painless as on the 701 and I have to date had no success.
I'm new to linux and have the stock Xandros OS on the 901. Would my problems with installing Office XP have anything to do with the lettered drive system in place in the 901? I am installing MS Office from a USB drive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alright, I've sucessfuly installed Office XP by moving the XP files to the My Documents folder on the 901 and installing from there. However, I still can't access the documents on my USB drive or on the SD drive. If I open Excel for instance and try to open any file from within Excel I get an invalid path name, or location error. I'm sure this must be easily corrected by mapping the drives, but I haven't been able to figure out that part yet.
So again, any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Bill,

You should be able to use Xandros' drive mapping utility by enabling "full desktop mode", which is not automatically enabled on shipped EEE's (the default they ship is "easy" mode). To enable "full desktop mode" -

1. Open up a terminal buy pressing Ctrl+Alt+T
  2. Type "sudo bash" to gain root access (Be careful what you do with root access. The only reason we're using it now is so that you don't have to type sudo before each command. But you could easily mess up your machine if you perform every command as an administrator)
  3. Type "apt-get update" to make sure you have access to the most up to date packages
  4. Type "apt-get install kicker" and answer "y" when asked if you want to install
  5. Type "apt-get install ksmserver" and answer "y" when asked if you want to install
  6. Type exit to leave the root account
  7. Type exit to close your terminal window

Now when you press the power button to turn off your computer, a new option will show up on the left that says "Full Desktop." Press it and your Eee PC will reboot into Full Desktop mode.

This information was copied from a much more intensive article that you can read here - http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/11/06/eee-pc-tips-a-crash-course-in-linux/

You should then be able to map/configure the drive using the information at this wiki page (or the config page linked to it) -
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/CXOffice62_HowToMapADrive

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiYUxSQ0F4OGNRN1hHYU1NRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9