CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

CNN live video...

My first post here. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 / Firefox 3 Beta 5.

I have just started using Crossover (demo.) My motivation to do this was that the standard plugins available to a Linux user will not render the Quicktime QTVR format. They don't seem interested in working on this either. With the Quicktime plugin installed via Crossover, this now works fine.

Question: is there a way, using Crossover, to view CNN live video? This is something else I cannot seem to do.

-Ron

I checked out CNN's live video and it certainly doesn't look like Quicktime. It's probably something Flash based, I'd recommend downloading and installing Flash for Linux and see how it works.

I don't know what the format is. The FAQ on the CNN website says live feed requires Windows or Mac, and if running Windows, that Flash Player 8 or higher is required, but then later it says that Windows Media Player 9 or higher is required - and it makes a big deal about that. On a Mac, flip4Mac and Quicktime 7.1.2+ are explicitly required, so I think the format is probably Windows Media!

Can we run Windows Media Player 9 under Crossover?

-Ron

Crossover can only run up to WMP6.4, and even then it can get kind of unstable.

I'm watching video on their site just fine on Ubuntu 7.10 and I don't have WMP installed, just Adobe Flash.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiRmtNVjRKNDRTRlA3VVk4NSIsImdkcHIiOjB9