CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Python 3?

Will we soon see a Python 3 version of the GUI?
I'm asking this as the distribution I'm using has begun to switch main support from 2.7 to 3.x, which means that some of the Python libraries will only be for 3.x.

Alternative would be that you provide all Python 2.7 dependencies and a statically compiled Python 2.7 which is used by the GUI.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

This is something we have been thinking about for a long time, but we don't have a date yet, frankly. The main issue is when distros will begin to switch. So far we have been best served by trying to make our most basic calls compatible with python 3 even though the user really needs python2 to do anything. The timing of distro adoption of python 3 and true abandonment of python 2 is the main thing for us.

What distro are you using?

Arch was one of the first to install python3 as a default, and python2 is still available and they can both be installed on the same system. The fact that python3 will be the default for your distro probably doesn't mean they'll dump python2 from the repos. Although I would like to see the switch to python3 everywhere, python2 is way too common to just make it disappear.

I'm using Gentoo and the single target has been changed from 2.7 to 3.x, which means packages which only can be provided to one version of python will be for the 3.x instead, of course I don't think you may use those packages as dependency, but it show that 2.x is on it's way out. KDE Plasma likes to have python 3.x as default, which complicates things even more, it would be slightly better if the /usr/bin/python wasn't used, but /usr/bin/python2.

Some random info for the CX devs-
Fedora 23 has defaulted to Python3 with all installs. Older packages are still available, but not installed by default.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiN1VXcUx1Y0publNRSk5yaCIsImdkcHIiOjB9