CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

World of Warcraft Won't Launch

Running Ubuntu 16.04. I just got an update to Battle.net which said I needed to restart the application. I clicked to restart and now WoW and Battle.net refuse to start. I click the icons but nothing happens. I see the following error when I run a log:

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\Program Files\Battle.net\Battle.net.7682\Battle.net.exe" failed, status 80000100

Well, guess I'll back it up and re-install.

That didn't work. I get the same error with something more descriptive:

err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCP140.dll" failed to initialize, aborting

Hmm ... these errors are not what I would have expected. We saw some other problems recently with World of Warcraft on Linux, but they did not manifest that way and I would be surprised if they did. (Also, a reinstall after a crosstie update should have fixed them).

Can you try opening winecfg in the World of Warcraft bottle, going to the 'Libraries' tab, and adding a new override for d3d11, setting the new override to 'disabled'?

If that does not work (which it may not ... I wouldn't expect the issue I'm thinking of to cause the error you see), then it could be that a different problem has hit you.

I have completely removed CX and Wine, removed the WoW bottle, installed Battle.net (which is running at the moment). I'm copying my WoW backup into the new bottle. This will take some time. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help.

I got everything to run. The first time the opening cutscene was green and when it was done the screen was just black. I disabled d3d11 and now it's running.

Thank you for the help.

I was wrong. I got the massage, "Battle.net has downloaded a required updated and needs to be restarted." I clicked the Restart button and now I'm getting this again:

wine: Call from 0x7b83a47c to unimplemented function api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll._initialize_onexit_table, aborting
err:module:attach_process_dlls "MSVCP140.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\Program Files\Battle.net\Battle.net.7730\Battle.net.exe" failed, status 80000100

I upgraded Winetricks and installed vcrun2015 and now I get:

wine: Call from 0x7b83a47c to unimplemented function api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll._W_Gettnames, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll._W_Gettnames called at address 0x7b83a47c (thread 000d), starting debugger...

Battle.net already installs the proper dll file when I had this error. I simply re-installed battle.net only and the problem resolved itself. My guess is the delta update that is applied somehow messes, but a fresh install with the already updated installer works fine. I've had no problems since other than the Battle.net client thinking it always needs to update but really does nothing after clicking the 'update' button.

What we're seeing in-house is that installing the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 runtime by hand on top of an existing Battle.net bottle (World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc.) seems to allow the games to run after the update which otherwise breaks them. If anyone has a problem with one of these games and needs help with that process, please submit a support ticket and one of our support Ninjas can help walk you through the process. If anyone tries that and it does not work, please let us know!

Josh DuBois wrote:

What we're seeing in-house is that installing the Microsoft Visual
Studio 2015 runtime by hand on top of an existing Battle.net bottle
(World of Warcraft, Diablo, etc.) seems to allow the games to run
after the update which otherwise breaks them. If anyone has a
problem with one of these games and needs help with that process,
please submit a support ticket and one of our support Ninjas can
help walk you through the process. If anyone tries that and it does
not work, please let us know!

Whew, that solution worked perfectly! Glad it was a painless fix.

Thanks for being awesome and helping us with this one! I was already worried enough about Legion breaking something, but go figure it was the Battle.net client that broke.

Over thr past several year patching has been a problem and reinstalling has always worked with big content patches

Any idea why I have to log in to battle.net every time I try to play WoW, even though in battle.net settings I have
it selected to keep me logged in? (For some strange reason, the actual login screen has that option greyed out, but once I log
in and go to settings, it's selected.)

And most of the time, I have to log in twice (battle.net gives an error and says it has to come up off-line). I've tried deleting the battle.net/blizzard entertainment
folders.

I couldn't say for any certainty, but this is a change that was initiated in the last major update. I suspect it's a security measure. They've been having a lot of hacking issues.

its also work for me. thanks.

1 to 15 of 15

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUlhjOWNNcGR0WFFtRTJuNiIsImdkcHIiOjB9