CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Problem installing Linux Crossover v20 on OpenSuse Tumbleweed

[Note: I have already read the Forum posts which sound similar to this problem and tried their suggestions, but to no avail. The precise errors I see are somewhat different as I will explain below...]

When doing a vanilla install into a single user account, as in /home/ted/cxoffice, it seems to install fine. However, the 'crossover' executable then claims I have some libraries missing in my environment and offers to use zypper to load them (as shown below). I let the terminal command window attempt to do that and each time it says all the suggested missing files are already there. On exiting that terminal window, Crossover displays a standard X pane which says essentially the same thing, i.e., those files may need to be loaded. However, everything is already in my environment and nothing I've tried to add has made any difference. At this point the crossover window with the list of "missing files" suggestion can be closed and crossover simply terminates.

I'm at a loss as how to proceed since as far as I can tell, my setup should be runnable. Any pointers, tips or outright fixes would be much appreciated. I'll include some information below (and attached as images) which might be helpful. If I am missing anything pertinent, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

//Ted M.

(base) (19:26 ted@nigellus ~) > uname -a
Linux nigellus 5.8.15-1-default #1 SMP Thu Oct 15 08:10:08 UTC 2020 (c680e93) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(base) (19:25 ted@nigellus ~) > cat /etc/os-release
NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"

VERSION="20201025"

ID="opensuse-tumbleweed"
ID_LIKE="opensuse suse"
VERSION_ID="20201025"
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE Tumbleweed"
ANSI_COLOR="0;32"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:opensuse:tumbleweed:20201025"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"
HOME_URL="https://www.opensuse.org/"
DOCUMENTATION_URL="https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed"
LOGO="distributor-logo"

(base) (19:26 ted@nigellus ~) > python -V
Python 3.8.3

(base) (19:39 ted@nigellus ~) > cxfix --auto
Distribution: openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit (suset)
Product: cx20
There is no issue to fix

This is the body of the terminal window with the "suggested files" that keeps appearing:

CrossOver needs your permission to install missing packages.
This operation must be run as root:

sh -c "echo -n Waiting for the zypper lock; while zypper needs-rebooting >/dev/null 2>&1; [ \$? -eq 7 ]; do echo -n .; sleep 1; done; zypper install -y python3-cairo python3-dbus-python python3-gobject python3-gobject-Gdk typelib-1_0-Gtk-3_0 typelib-1_0-Vte-2.91"

Trying with pkexec...
Waiting for the zypper lockLoading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
'python3-gobject' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'python3-gobject-3.36.1-1.3.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'python3-gobject-Gdk' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'python3-gobject-Gdk-3.36.1-1.3.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'python3-dbus-python' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'python3-dbus-python-1.2.14-1.5.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'python3-cairo' not found in package names. Trying capabilities.
'python3-pycairo' providing 'python3-cairo' is already installed.
'typelib-1_0-Gtk-3_0' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'typelib-1_0-Gtk-3_0-3.24.22-1.2.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
'typelib-1_0-Vte-2.91' is already installed.
No update candidate for 'typelib-1_0-Vte-2.91-0.60.3-1.3.x86_64'. The highest available version is already installed.
Resolving package dependencies...

Nothing to do.
Finished. Press Return to continue.

Is the result of 'which python3' managed by the distribution?

Running crossover from the terminal with CX_LOG=- should show more information about what's going wrong.

Thanks, Esme. Looking at the log made me see that the PyGObject modules weren't installed so that was causing it to fail. After a lot of tinkering I think I managed to load them successfully and now crossover 20 starts up. Haven't really used it yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works as normal.

Cheers,

//Ted

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiWEpCQWQ4c1dCOVd6ZFFZciIsImdkcHIiOjB9