CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

With the death of XP and IE8 is there any effort to make CrossOver Explorer compatible with IE only web sites

It seems that there has been little to no work done on CrossOver Explorer in some time. With the death of Windows XP and IE8 more and more IE only web sites forbid logging in using IE7 or IE8 thus making thing difficult unless one has a Windows system, witch seams to defeating the whole purpose of CrossOver, well some of it any way. This has been my main reson for using CrossOver for the past ten years. I would like to know if there are plans to improve CrossOver Explorer in the near future.

In some sense, you're right.

CrossOver Explorer has fallen under the radar and hasn't been our main focus. Our last release was all about games and focusing on games directly.

This is a general run-down on how it went:

1. Test out potential new game titles and flush out what we could add support for
  2. Test out the titles that look good and refine bugs that need attention
  3. Work on Quicken 2015 and other Quicken issues because tax season is upon us
  4. Work on regressions
  5. Improve packagemanagement even more for Linux users
  6. Create a new GUI for the MacOS
  7. pick off anything "easy" to fix

Our next release is slated to be more Office-centric. We're circling through our office titles, we're running browsers daily, we're running through Outlook and of course we're running CrossOver Explorer more.

I can't make promises because it's early and our list is long. Right now it has "all the things" we dream about having in a release.

Thanks Caron
I know how hard your jobs are it is always a game of catch up and gamers make up a big part of your profits. Its nice to know us small business people are being looked after too.

Gabrielle D. Profenno wrote:

Thanks Caron
I know how hard your jobs are it is always a game of catch up and
gamers make up a big part of your profits. Its nice to know us small
business people are being looked after too.

As I am not aware of any IE only websites, could you not use Windows Firefox or Windows Chrome in a CX bottle?

Could you perhaps provide an example?

All the IE only sites I work with require login credentials I could provide Caron with a new set but not on an open forum. And no Chrome and Firefox are not fully functional as the site us activeX and VP script. Also for the time being thay are still alowing IE8 logins but not for much longer and IE8 under Crossover is very buggy and crashes a lot on the two sites. Here are the two sites (https://pos.uhaul.net/secure/POSLogin/Login.aspx?AppName=Console) and (https://www.webselfstorage.com/Affiliate/Login) The Web Self Storage dose have a demo. One more thing the bigges isue with Chrome on the Uhaul site is there programing of sub menues in there asp.net code The Java script engine in Firefox seams to not work on ether site.

Yes, we're interested in making these kinds of sites work. That's what CrossOver Explorer is intended for. If you have login credentials you can share with Caron please contact her or file a support ticket.

Generally those sites need login credentials, users can't share them with us, and in order to get access to them ourselves we must be registered real estate brokers or something like this. So as much as we'd like to make those pages work, we often can't ☹️ .

I will contact Caron as soon as I have a temp user name and password. Also as of Crossover 14.1 it is now posible to login to https://pos.uhaul.net but not possible to do a transaction.

even the Codeweavers site itself, says that Cx Explorer - is out of Date. ..

• how hard is it to add Tabs? - very common in an Browser, these days.

"
This site is optimised for modern web browsers, and does not fully support your version of Internet Explorer
".

• says the BBC.

Wrt tabs, I don't think we'll add them anytime soon. Yeah, they are a standard feature of browsers nowadays, among many other things our simple browser doesn't have, but we still have a long way to go to make more those pesky IE websites work. CrossOver IE is not intended as a browser that you use as your default browser. It's something you'd use as a last resort short of booting Windows.

In theory if you install Windows Firefox into CrossOver, plus our HTML engine, and the IE tab extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/ie-tab/) you may get something that's comfortable to use and has ActiveX capability. I haven't tried it myself though.

That link does not work. It brings up some page that looks like an error page (in German, so I can't be certain).

I think the addon you are referring to uses Internet Explorer, so if your IE does not work, neither will the addon!

Tim

Hmm, maybe https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ie-tab/ works.

I think the plugin uses the Internet Explorer libraries, not the frontend application iexplore.exe. Our backend libraries (shdocvw, mshtml, msxml, ...) are in a much better shape than the frontend app.

Recommend that for future 2016 releases you consider thinking about Internet Explorer a little differently. Here is why:

1. IE is essential to many of us. Although I personally dislike using IE, I do not have a choice. My employer's web sites are designed to be accessed using IE. That means that I can not do simple things from my home computer like complete on-line training or update my timecard or telework. Like it or not, many large organizations are wedded to IE. This even includes my bank which works with other browsers 90% of the time but there are those few but crucial functions where I actually have to log out and log back in using IE. I do not know why these web sites are so in love with IE but there is nothing that I can do about it and it is just a fact of life. If you did nothing else but support the current version of IE on Linux, I would continue to be a customer and renew every year.

2. I love to play games, but to be honest, I don't really need CrossOver for that because Steam has tons of games that will run on Linux. Steam is highly polished, works well and I only have to pay for the games. Same thing with office applications – turns out that LibreOffice has come a long way in the last couple of years and I no longer have any need for Microsoft Office. Even though my employer actually pays for me to have the latest Microsoft Office Suite and CrossOver supports Microsoft Office, LibreOffice is such a good alternative that I much prefer to use it.

I am NOT suggesting that support for games and Office is undesirable. I am just suggesting that maybe support for IE should not be at the bottom of the priority list.

I agree I am a member of the U-Haul truck and storage rental network and IE is the only browser with ActiveX and VB script witch they require to access there corporate site . They will no longer allow IE8 or XP to login as of December 1, 2015. I was hoping for better support for IE in wine and Crossover but gave up a year or so ago as U-Haul is now working to support Chrome but progress is slow there too. As for Microsoft Office it runs well on my Android tablet for free as well as online with Firefox and Chrome.

As a lawyer, I must access the land registry here in Quebec. The jackasses in that service still have activeX crap on their site. I can do most of what I need under Firefox in Linux, but not everything. Short of IE on Wine, or booting a VM, there are just some things I can't do. Therefore, please count me among those that want IE support to receive some greater attention as well.

My post from March is still quite accurate on this topic. If you have a site that doesn't require login credentials, or where you / we can persuade the operator of the site to give us a test account for free then those sites are things we want to make work. Unfortunately to my knowledge all we ever get to is the login page :-\ .

The other problem is that each ActiveX plugin is a Windows application and is just as hard to get to work.

The problem is almost all of the site we are talking about are corporate sites that do require login credentials. In the past I took a chance and gave Caron a set of limited credentials to my U-Haul login but I saw no progress in almost a year and I wiped the credentials for my own protection. In my case U-Haul is now working to make Chrome viable for there site but for now it is buggy and not all parts of the site work.

One more thing there is a trial version of web self storage here https://www.webselfstorage.com/Affiliate/SignUp/Demo the issue for me is Web Self Storage (https://www.webselfstorage.com/Affiliate/Login) and U-Haul point of sale (https://pos.uhaul.net/secure/POSLogin/Login.aspx?AppName=Console ) both will require a minimum OS of windows 7 and IE10 as of December 1, 2015 and built in IE in crossover reports XP IE8 and there is no VB script support in it at least not on these sites

1 to 17 of 17

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSjR4SFp0QXljbkh2WTZjVCIsImdkcHIiOjB9